New to the hobby

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by hectat2, Nov 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

There is more to the nitrate story. There are a series of chemical and bacterial changes that will take place over the next few weeks. You will need good test kits to know what's happening in your tank. The important things to look for first are 1) ammonia should be 0. 2) nitrite should be 0. Only after that do you address nitrate.

mdbostwick likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

I have a api test kit saltwater but if the water test is good i dont have to do the wc ? Or i have to do wc every week ?

4. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

Can someone tell me the name of this coral

Attached Files:

5. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

And how attached to the rock

6. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

its a montipora its a plated coral it grow partly to the rock then it produces plating

7. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

Thanks for the reply How hard is to take care of this coral i tell de guy i just have a soft coral un my tank and he say this one go to be o right there

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Montipora are fairly easy small polyp corals. You always have to monitor calcium, alk and magnesium when you add stony corals. With the corals you have now you can get away with minimal testing as long as you keep up your routine water changes. Just take a water sample to the local fish store for testing, once you get into more advanced stony corals you'll probably have to invest in test kits.

Keep a small bio-load and you can get away with bi-monthly water changes. Just do not over feed or over stock.

To attach the Montipora you can use superglue gel or underwater epoxy.

10. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

it needs plentiful cal and some light it may take a while for your tank to be mature enough to take care of this coral it is a stoney coral

11. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm

Thank you for your reply but that go to be the only one i better stay with my soft corals

12. hectat2

hectat2 Fire Worm