new to saltwater hobby

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by sheeler1993, Feb 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

ok so i did a water change about 6 gallons and then did a parameter test just to check and see what they were again and heres what i got let me know what you guys think. calcium-520ppm phosphate-.25-.50ppm nitrate-0ppm kh/dkh-161.1ppmkh/9dkh salinity-1.022-1.023 temp-81.5degrees F

2. Click Here!

3. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Can you test for ammonia,nitrite, and Magnesium? Temp is a little on the high side. If possible bring it down to around 78.The fact you are not showing nitrate leads me to beleive the tank may not be cycle. What kind of kits are you using?

5. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

i have the reef master test kit by api. it only has those test in it i did have some nitrate in last week but not much and then when i checked this last time it showed zero. what kit do i need to check for those other test? and ok I've heard both ways for the temp some people told me run it 80 just don't go over 84 and then some told me to run it 78 like you have said is it just preference or why is there such a gap

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

As mentioned, I don't believe that your tank has cycled fully.

7. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

how would i know if tank is fully cycled

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Test for Ammonia and Nitrite.Keeping temperature swings to a minimum is most important.I have always run 78 degrees to give a little wiggle room but 80 is fine.

civiccars2003 likes this.
  10. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

Cycling a tank is the first step prior to adding any livestock.

The nitrogen cycle involves ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The cycle can last anywhere from a week to 6 weeks depending on how you start up the tank.
    During a cycle you need to test frequently (every other day)ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Your ammonia levels need to rise then drop to 0, then the nitrites will rise and drop to 0, then nitrates will appear and those don't drop on their own-this requires water changes to lower and nutrient export.
    Doing water changes during a cycle isn't recommended. Once the tank has fully cycled and you see readings of zero for ammonia and nitrites for a week or so, consistently then you can do a water change and add a fish because your cycle will be done.
    The tank properly being set up and cycled correctly is very important for the success of the tank.

11. sheeler1993

sheeler1993 Plankton

Well another noob question im sure I dont have the test kit that test those parameters yet I will ho to lfs tomorrow to pick it up but the question is I did the water change and took the bio balls out and the false floor and added my diy media basket I did foam.sponge on top the matrix I believe is what the rocks in the bag is called and then activated charcoal my water has yest to clear up after I did the water change would it be from.me switching the filtration around is why it's so cloudy or should I do another water change and add nutrisea water instead of me mixing my own I go and buy the ro water and mix and hear it myself what are thoughts for this issue I would really like to get the tank going in the right direction

12. Vinnyboombatz

Yes if you are removing and replacing media it could absolutely cause a cycle. How exactly did you mix the water? Was it clear when you used it? My advice is for you to do lots of reading before proceeding any farther. Use the search engine on this site. Type in your questions. I am confident most of them have been asked/answered many times before. If you have more ask away.

Piano10 likes this.