New to saltwater and corals

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Dman, Sep 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

I have a 55g I converted from cichlids to saltwater. This is my first SW aquarium. It has been cycled for 9 months. I have a 20g sump ( approx. 55g of saltwater total). 55 lbs LR. SCA-301 skimmer. 1" - 1.5" aragonite seafloor grade substrate. I have 5 fish. 1 cleaner shrimp. Approx 12-14 hermits. 3-4 nassarius snails. 1 Mexican turbo.
    SG- 1.023
    Ph- 8
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite- 0
    Nitrate- 20
    Phos- 0
    Calcium- 420
    Mag- 1200
    KH- 8.6
    Alk- 3.09
    Marineland reef capable led light
    I bought a Kenya Tree and Xenia from LFS. They are not doing as good as they were in the store.
    [​IMG]
    The tree stays layed over.
    [​IMG]
    This is approx. 2-3 weeks after I got the xenia.
    [​IMG]
    This is after the 3rd placement over a month and a half and a treatment of Kent coral vite. I do see some improvement. Logic would say continue since I see improvement, continue. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Welcome buddy! You've come too the right place. I see 3 things that would help your coral. Dkh should be 8-11, salinity should be 1.026 and i dont think those light will be able to support coral(regardless of what the name implies).

4. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

Welcome buddy! You've come too the right place. I see 3 things that would help your coral. Dkh should be 8-11, salinity should be 1.026 and i dont think those light will be able to support coral(regardless of what the name implies).

Edit: alk and kh are the same thing. Guess u mean 3.09meq/l? In that case your looking good.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to 3reef.

I would try to get your number up, specifically the Magnesium. Your Calcium value is good and the ALK is on the low side. At nine months you should start to see some coralline growth which I do not see which makes me think your running a little low on the big three Ca/Mag/Alk.

You might be better off eventually switching to a two part system, with one part that adds strontium and magnesium. Or change salts to something higher in Magnesium and with a higher ALK value.

I would bring up the SG to around 1.025 with use of a refractometer.

You should be able to keep easier soft corals with the MarineLand fixtures, but I have not heard fantastic things about this fixture and it's ability to grow corals.

6. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks. If I raise the SG then it should raise the Dkh since I'm adding more salt correct? I was afraid of that with the lights. I read very mixed reviews of them. I thought I would gamble on them. Looks like I might have to take a loss. Thanks for your post.

I would try to get your number up, specifically the Magnesium. Your Calcium value is good and the ALK is on the low side. At nine months you should start to see some coralline growth which I do not see which makes me think your running a little low on the big three Ca/Mag/Alk.

Thanks. My numbers were lower than that. Cal 360, Mag 1150, KH was actually higher at 9. I recently got them up using purple up and coral vite as the LFS suggested. They also suggested since I test for so many things I might want to add suppliments individually which is better than all in ones. They also informed me that softies need iodine more than anything else.
    Unfortunately a refractometer is out of my price range at the time. Hopefully in the future though :).
    Also for the coralline. I had T8's with very old bulbs to start with. I have only had the LEDs for 2 months if that makes a difference. Thanks for your post

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am not sure it is the light. I have an even less reef capable light over my 46 (Beamswork Double Bright), and both my Kenya Tree and Xenia are thriving. I also have Kenya Tree growing in my 'fuge with just a 13W CFL, and in my 8 gallon tank with just the stock LED light (and large temp fluctuations throughout the day). I found both like lower flow, not picky about lighting (although Kenya Tree will become darker the less light it has), and basically tough to kill.

It sounds like you are on the right track though.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef! We're glad you're here and this is a great place to learn and share.

With all due respect to your LFS, you shouldn't be adding purple up and you really shouldn't need additives. Look into a 2 part dosing system. I don't do that right now but will if I move onto some more difficult corals.

10. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Hi welcome nice to have you stay awhile!

11. Dman

Dman Astrea Snail

Thanks for the welcomes.

I hope it's not the light. The light put a big dent in my wallet even though I got a good deal on it.

Now flow. It's hard to find a low flow area under the light. The narrow 55g limited my rock structure. I have 2 koralia 1050's that keep everything moving pretty good. Plus approx. 300-350 gpm from return pump. The new placement of the xenia is not to bad flow wise though. It's the most calm area I have found.

My options for lfs are limited. They did mention that dosing individually would be better than all in one suppliments. The only thing the purple up has done is raise my calcium. If I understand you correctly, a 2 part dosing system would take care of my calcium, but also contribute to my alk and magnesium.

12. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

I agree with the above posters... Your big 3 should be in check a little better. And likewise... 2 part dosing is far superior to purple up.... Just remember what we all say, if you can't test for it, don't add it... Good luck!

1 person likes this.