new to MH few questions

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by 1fishyguy, Jan 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

I still need to add actinics myself. I'm going to go with a panorama system. 3 strips with dimmable driver put me at a total of 36 royal blue leds that way I'm not adding any more heat to the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. 1fishyguy

Got a wild hair and decided to search for coupon code online for SOS found one! At checkout type bem2011 takes 9 dollars off! Wahoo lol

4. Reefs not Refs

Reefs not Refs Bristle Worm

lol what's the exact website your using?

5. 1fishyguy

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

I would not bump them 30 min a day, more like 30 min a week unless you want to melt your corals! MH are very intense and need to be gradually worked up to your desired photo period. When I change the bulbs on my MH, I usually take 3-4 weeks to aclimate the coral to the new bulbs, bumbing up the photo period up 30 minutes/week.

7. 1fishyguy

Very good to hear. Thanks and ill do that. Im using old bulbs as of rite now till i can get the cash together for new ones ( few weeks) Im starting on 4 hours with the old bulbs i guess ill leave it at that for a week then up it 30 min. Then when my new bulbs come in should i bump it back down to 4 hours? and start back over again??

8. Click Here!

9. jnunn

jnunn Plankton

go with 20k you wont be disappointed i thought about 14ks but i went with 20k about a month back and it makes everything look awesome

10. 1fishyguy

Did some research on 14 and 20k and read a lot that the 20k may look nicer but corals responded better to 14k

1 person likes this.
  11. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

20k will get you nice color but less growth 14k in the right bulb phoneix,xm ect will give nice color and better growth than 20k. imo

12. 1fishyguy

What I thought. Sticking with 14k phoneix