New (to me) setup

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by OPForest, May 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Well I finally took the plunge and got a tank from someone on craigslist. I have been looking for a while and this is what I ended up with. Ive got to clean everything and make sure its all water tight but overall im happy. Going to have to get some power heads, a light and a heater to complete the hardware portion.

I noticed that the bottom front right corner has some clear silicone on the outside and this is causing me some concern. I didn't notice until after I had already purchased it so fingers crossed it wont leak. If for some chance it does, is it just a matter of cleaning up the old silicone and redoing it? I would really hate for the thing to bust open and spill out on the floor.

The Good:
    -Oceanic Systems 72 Gallon Bow Front
    -Black Stand
    -Oceanic systems sump. looks like a 20 or 30 gallon with a baffle and container with bio-balls (which i wont be using)
    -Reef Octopus Skimmer
    -Prism skimmer
    -jug of salt
    -decent water test kit

Not sure about:
    -some sort of pump 1/2 inch in/outlet **EDIT: Mag-Drive submersible Pump - Model 5**
    -a canister filter. not going to be used except maybe to move water while i cure live rock
    -Hydor 300W inline heater. I don't know anything about this.
    -A tiny power head. also maybe will use for live rock cure. other than that doubtful.
    -what apears to be a water de-ionizer. Ive never seen anything like this but maybe it will be useful. ill have to find out more
    -Siphon overflow. I would like to drill it but I have to figure out if its tempered or not ** EDIT: CPR CS50**

Trash
    fake plastic decorations
    3 air pumps
    tons of air lines
    Tons of old fish food
    old Coralife light fixture. I doubt it will be used as its not even T5's.

Pictures to come as I get it cleaned up

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

We expect pictures asap! ;D I would for sure do a leak test and see what happens and use your best judgement on what to do from there. Congratulations on the tank! It is a journey and a huge learning curve. So with that said take your time, upgrade the old equipment, and have fun!

4. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

So it looks like the included pump and overflow are really not big enough for this size tank. The CS50 is rated at about 300 GPH and the mag drive 5 is rated for a max of 500 GPH. bummer on that but on a positive side, the Reef Octopus is a 6 inch model so it should be plenty big. Its actually huge.

Some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I would give that skimmer a nice vinegar bath and it will be looking like new

6. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Yeah thats the plan. Im going to soak and clean the pump, overflow and skimmer. Ill probably keep the pump and overflow for a QT for later.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

congrats on the tank! I love the look of a bowfront! That skimmer does look like a good one. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

8. Click Here!

9. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

Thanks. I found 50 lbs of dry live rock on craigslist tonight so ill be going to pick that up tomorrow. only 1$ per lb. I know ill need more but i couldn't pass up that kind of deal.

10. OPForest

OPForest Fire Worm

I'm making progress! just got my heaters, power heads and RO/DI and 1200 GPH CPR in-tank overflow this weekend. The tank is about 90% cleaned of old silicone so that's my project for tomorrow. I have sand from Marco Rocks, an Evergrow IT2080 LED and a Jeabo DC-6000 return pump in the mail too.

the remaining to do list:

Finish sealing tank
    Drill for overflow and install
    Plumb sump and return pump
    Clean everything!
    Purchase the remaining live rock I need

A question for those with more knowledge than myself. What is the recommended mounting height for the light? Im searching as we speak but would appreciate peoples opinions as well.