new to Hard corals, info needed on supplementation

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by nanomania, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

i wonder how everything is surviving in your tank. Sg i prefer 1.024 (for simple reason, if it fluctuates, it wont go below 23 and above 25. the lower the salinity, better it is for fish) well iv been keeping softies and i do 10% WC every week. wont start Hard corals tank till im not confirmed about everything. iv got loads of time in hand.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If you were replying to me, everything is thriving in my tank. While I realize that SG is a little high, it seems to work for me. I try to lowly get it down, and it slowly creeps up there. At least it's slowly, like the wild.

I use straight RO/DI for my top off obviously. There is a farily recent short video of it in my Signature.

4. nanomania

nice.. ur lucky, i wish my tank would do so good with just WCs. my salt is not that great.

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

You only need to dose if your parms call for it. So if you test and your Ca, and ALK is low and cant bring it back up with a WC then you should test and dose accordingly. I noticed that i had to start dosing when i got a clam my Ca and ALK started dropping faster.

6. leighton1245

If you keep your tank and 1.024 SG then i can imagine you have coral stress a ton with you first introduce them into your system normal sea water is 1.026 or 35ppm. That would be the first thing that i would change is upping it to 1.026 and maintain it.

7. nanomania

well most of the corals care chart i find the SG needed is between 1.023-1.026

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I updated my DT video in my signature. Still under four minutes if you care to look.

For Salt, I usually use Instant Ocean, the purple logo on the box.

Every time I test my params. they are well within range. Maybe I'll test again today or tomorrow.

10. leighton1245

good luck to you keeping them at 1.023

11. nanomania

12. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

When I learn of many other hobbyists having success with growing SPS successfully in 1.023, I'll jump on that bandwagon.