new to freshwater. have a few questions.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Gexx, May 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That would depend on the size of the gravel, it should be pea sized or smaller so the roots can take hold and not feel like they are in flowing water.

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

the gravel is pea size.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Should be OK then

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok good. i think ill through some play sand in there for the roots. its silica play sand, you think thats alright for hte fish and plants? not gonna be toxic?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It will be fine, just rinse it real well and then dump it on top of the gravel and let it settle between.

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

its been settling for 3 hours. its only a little murky now. the bottom looks great tho! im putting some base rock in there for depth now.

8. Click Here!

9. Josh116

Josh116 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have used gravel and sand for tanks with plants. with my experiences the gravel was better but ONLY becuase the fish I have seem to think it's a great time to dig up my plants everytime I get them set the way I like them. If you are going to have a planted tank (mostly plants with just a few fish for looks) then go with what you think looks better. My tanks were mostly fish with some plants added for looks.

If you are having problems with fish digging up the plants I found it helpful to put them in little clay pots and burry the pots under the substrate so you can't see them. That way the fish can get under them to dig them up.

as far as lighting I think T5's will be great. Fresh water is far less demanding then salt. The few plants that I have are only getting UV light from the windows, I use everyday florescents on my tanks. Over a year in the tanks and still healthy, but keep in mind my plants are more for looks and to give my plecos something to nibble on. I was never interested in growing them out etc.

I use these little "plant food" cubes that I put in the gravel around the plants. They last for a few months at a time and they work great for keeping everything green and healthy.

I really like the looks of my playsand tank. It's just playsand from home depot. The only issue I have with it is it sticks to Everything. It's on the glass, rocks, plants, it even covers the cat fish sometimes lol.