New Tank Start-up

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Reef22, Mar 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef22

Reef22 Plankton

I just filled my my 46-bowfront with new salt water from my LFS and added a heater and 2-AC50 powerheads. My 45-lbs.of live rock will arrive tomorrow.
    My questions are: After I put my live rock in do I need to run my PC lights like 12-hrs. per day during the cycle period ????
    Do I need to add the 1" to 2" of live sand right after adding the live rock ?
    And should I do a partial water change of 10% 1-week after installing the live rock & live sand ?

I am excited as heck..;D ..and want to do everything possible the correct way to insure a successful start to my FOWLR tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

You are psyched :)
    Put the base layer of rocks in then add your sand. This will keep burrowing creatures from undermining your rocks and causing them to fall. Then finish your aquascaping. Throw in a little piece of raw shrimp enclosed in a piece of nylon and let your tank cycle.
    Lights are not required but I'm sure you will want to turn them on so you can stare at it and dream of what it will look like later ;)

Jim

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

My advice to you is to do alot of reading on setting up a salt water tank. Also just as important, you need to define what you want to put in your tank ie. Fowlr, inverts also, or full blown reef tank. There are alot of questions and variables that you need to address if you want to succeed in your new tank endeavor. Your lighting is going to be one of your biggest issues/ or possibly your biggest limitation as far as going with a reef tank/ followed by filtration. Then knowing what types of fish/inverts/corals will survive and grow in the tank you chose to go with.
    Again, READ and Ask questions here at 3reef as we will be able to help you and offer ideas, opinions, expertise and most importantly HELP to make you successful with your new tank!
    Good luck!!!and have fun doing it. But do it slow and correctly!

5. Reef22

Reef22 Plankton

Coral Reefer,

Like I mentioned in my original post, Live Rock and a few fish only.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I guess what i'm trying to get across to you is that salt water systems are expensive- and many times people say they just want to go with fowlr-only to be bitten by the reef bug and then they have to go out and spend more money to get new lighting(ie. stronger, like metal halides). It is great that you know what you want to do now just think about the near future. I'm just trying to offer suggestions and save you money by having to buy another light setup or stronger filtration.