New tank questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Buzz1ightyear, Jan 28, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

if he just added 10lbs more live rock he will probably go through another small cycle

2. Click Here!

3. Buzz1ightyear

Buzz1ightyear Astrea Snail

some pics for you guys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Buzz1ightyear

5. Buzz1ightyear

so up next is the clean up crew and to upgrade the lighting. what do you guys recommend for the clean up crew. also what would be a good option for lighting im looking for the cheapest option that will still produce light for some corals to thrive. and don't worry guys i plan on taking this slow and wont have fish till i know the tank is just right and the corals are a long ways off. my over all plan for this tank is to put in 2 clown fish and maybe one other small fish if i can fit them in. im not sure what type of corals i want to put in but i will get a anemone eventualy so the clowns can hopefully host that. do you guys see any problems with this?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Buzz1ightyear

so i just did some testing and got a ph of 8.0, ammonia is 0ppm, and nitrates are at 0ppm. my water temp is 78 and salinity is 1.022

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What is your lighting type?

I would bring the SG up to at least 1.024 before you get the clean up crew.

For the cuc a couple Certh, Turbos or Astera, I would not get more then 3 or 4. Some small hermits as well, not a lot though.

Looks like you're going through the typical algae blooms.

A pair of clowns and a smaller fish should be fine. As for the anemone that really depends on your lighting.

8. Click Here!

9. Buzz1ightyear

thanks for the reply ill get the sg right then add the cleanup crew i need to upgrade my lighting before i get an anemone

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You're welcome. :)

You'll probably want to look at other powerhead options eventually. You do not need the air tubing to the current power head the HOB is probably enough.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure your tank is cycled yet....what are you nitrites at?

12. Buzz1ightyear

What's up guys so I've had my tank running with fish in it for around five months now. I currently have 1 blue damsel and 1 clown fish. I have 5 little hermit crabs and 5 turbo snails and one shrimp I can't think of which type. I'm trying to figure out what my final stock list should be. Here's what thinking to add 1 Catalina goby, 1 firefish, I would like another goby or two. I also want to add a sea star and put some corals in there. Do you guys have any recommendations I would love to get as much color as possible in there