New tank Just got live rock and found this

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by bigdubb, May 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

You can also microwave the rock for 2 minutes.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I don't think I'd recommend microwaving......live rock when boiled can create some very noxious fumes so I imagine, the same would happen in a microwave.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

yeah it does, but it also kills everything on/in the rock.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

You are missing the point though. I believe some people have been put in the hospital from boiling live rock. As OFK mentioned, microwaving accomplishes the same thing. I personally would not recommend either method to anyone.

6. oldfishkeeper

there wouldn't really be a reason to kill off all of the beneficial bacteria and maybe some good life on it for just one aiptasia.

7. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

That one aptasia will quickly turn into 2, then 4, and quickly p*** you off. Then you get to the point where you are so frustrated, you take to the forums trying to figure out whether you want to microwave, boil, medicate, or tractor beam them out of your tank. An ounce of prevention.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

I know they can become a pain....but I'd be cautious on the method chosen to get rid of it.

10. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

Oh I agree entirely. Sometimes we forget that we keep things in our living room, in a glass box, that we really dont know all that much about.

11. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

Aiptasia x is the only thing that has worked for me. Other than literally nuking them or burning them off the rock is all I havent tried. The butane torch idea sounds like a great alternative. It only spot heats the rock and its instant. Even if you have coral on the rock it wouldnt be out of the water long enough to bother it.

12. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks for all the feedback. What I ended up doing was pulling the rock out. I'm going to let it dry out for a month or two, then add it back to my sump. Hopefully the rock has dried thoroughly by then and the blight will be terminated.