New tank from the ground up...HELP!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Fishky, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

I have a 1000 gallon koi pond in my yard. I use pumps and a bio filter on it, but this aquarium stuff is like a mini version. LOTS of product choices.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

the fluval comes with a pump. If you want more flow in your tank, Koralias work very well, and be had for fairly cheap.

Heater.... a good heater. the difference between a cheap and a good heater is 40 bucks, but can kill off your tank in one day.

I prefer to have 2 thermometers. Just to be safe.

4. jonjonwells

Very nice. I had a 3000 Gallon one until recently. It got an infestation and had to be drained. Very sad day. I will get it up and running in the spring again. I miss my fishies.

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

k+ on that.
    you should also keep two heaters in case of one failing to do its job. you have an immediate back up.

6. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Right on for the heaters. Any particular brand to recommend?

7. jonjonwells

Honestly, I have just begun my research on them. I recently lost a lot of livestock due to faulty heaters. Titanium heaters with an external controller seem to be the best, but rather pricey. The RENA smart heater seems pretty good for a standard heater.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

+1 on titanium heaters. Don't have to worry about glass breaking. If you get a digital thermostat controlled heater, make sure it has a memory micro chip to remember your setting. Mine does not, and for some STUPID reason when they made it default was 81 degrees. If the power goes out I have to be quick on my toes about programming my heaters again as soon as the power comes back on. Is this going to be a planted tank?

10. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Not sure on the planted tank yet. There is so much to do to even buy the parts and pieces, I havent got to the plants and fish yet. The Titanium heaters are ViaAqua for about $50?

11. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Do I need a Koralia 4 in a freshwater tank?

12. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Well, not real helpful around here - guess I will move along. Enjoy your tanks. fishtankforums.com here I come.