New tank from the ground up...HELP!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Fishky, Nov 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum as of today, but not necessarily new to aquaculture. However, I have not had an aquarium in over 25 years. I have been reading online non-stop about this and that, and there is so much to choose from, I thought I would just skip the BS and ask the pros.

I will be doing freshwater.

I like the 46g Bowfronts. I was set on the acrylic SeaClear RTR Systems II series which has almost everything I need built in.

I found THIS ONE online and the price of $499 includes shipping. The stand I found is at Petco for $99.00

Any opinions on this tank?

I'm not deadset on the SeaClear Acrylic tank. I have read the many debates on acrylic vs. glass, and can entertain the glass option as well. I have two kids aged 11 and 1, so the scratching is a big deal.

The big question I have is, do I want to get an all-in-one, or do I want to build it piece by piece?

If the PxP option gets high remarks, what do you all suggest I get?

I'll entertain any opinions.

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

If your worried about scratches to the tank you may want to forget about acrylic and look into glass tanks. As far as a complete package or building your own id say just go with whatever you think is best. I would build my own. but thats just my opinion.

5. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

For a freshwater, I think that the all-in-ones are very good. I do not know anything on any of the brands however. Can't tell you if it is a good price or not.

6. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

I bought a Marineland Glass Bowfront 46g.

1 person likes this.
  7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

That was quick.

Did you get a good deal on it, or just decide to go with glass. Marineland tanks are very well made.

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

very quick..:eek: well, as you will soon find out.. you cant get away with I.. this I... that... with out posting pics.;D
    sooo... we want pics:cheesy: we want pics:cheesy:

10. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Congrats on the purchase of your new tank. Keep us posted on the build. We love pics.

11. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Thanks. I still have lots of questions though.

Found the Fluval 305 canister for it for $129, but what else do I need? A pump of some sort, a thermometer, and anything else? Air pump? Stones? What do you recommend?

12. Fishky

Fishky Plankton

Got the tank for $180 with lid/light from PetSmart of all places. By the time I would have paid shipping, I couldn't find it any cheaper any place else.

Got a stand for $100 from Petco shipped.

Don't worry. I have a very nice Canon EOS Rebel 1 Gazillion Megapixel camera that loves to take high res photos. I will post as I start my build. Just keep helping me.