New tank Cycling, got everything: NH3, NO2, NO3

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by artrichter001, Mar 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Sorry guys, forgot to ask you this:

1. Would you recommend doing a WC now? If so, what %?
    2. Also, I was thinking of cleaning the mechanical filter media as it has gunk all over, but I'm afraid I will kill beneficial bacteria.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

tank is looking great! It sounds like your cycle has completed. You're getting closer to being able to keep something :)

what kind of mechanical filter media? I'd be hesitant to clean it real well - I'd do 25-30% water change. I would then ghost feed, test and it your parameters are good, then add in a couple CUC and in about a week or so from there, I'd probably look to add a fish. Do you have a stocking list in mind? It would be good to plan out the order in which to add fish.

4. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Thanks oldfishkeeper!

I'm using the standard mechanical filter that came with my tank (mechanical sponge+carbon sponge+phosphate sponge):

[​IMG]

This actually takes me to a question I have. What's best? keeping this filter media or replace it with a second skimmer? Due to the limited space this aquarium offers, the skimmer that fits is quite small. I thought maybe a second skimmer is better than having this filter media, although mechanical filtration may be a must...dunno.

My stocking ideas are:

- Ocellaris mated pair
    - Flame hawkfish
    - Purple dottyback
    - Six Line Wrasse
    - Gobby (not sure what kind)

Diatoms are really taking over, and BTW, I added a couple of Hydor Koralias (nano - 450g):

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    Murball7 likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

size tank??.Remember fish are very dirty(some more then others of course).
    After you add rocks ph's fish,corals there will be alot less water in your tank then its rating.You do not need mechanical filtration but it is nice when stirring things up during wc's it needs to be cleaned very frequently ime or it can become counterproductive so to speak.
    A second skimmer is definitely not going to hurt but may be overkill and a pain to adjust.You really only need some mesh bags for your chemical filtration.I would do a wc if you are seeing that much nitrate.Certainly won't hurt.
    I love Dottybacks for nano's.They are awesome inquisitive fish but can be pugnatious depending on species.
    My favs.Springers are stunning,Neon s are awesome colorwise.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcs3/index.htm

They can mix with the sixline but its not a given.The clowns should be fine.You will find gobies and dottys don't mix well.
    Flame hawk may be a little much and would choose this or the 6 line.Not both.
    Ideally you would add the dotty last.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Do your regular maintenance.That is the point.You kill where you clean it grows back where you don't.

7. Murball7

Murball7 Bristle Worm

I really like your scape in this tank, center rounded island in a square tank with lots of swimming room, also Im staring at a cycling tank myself and its killing me already. Cycling tanks = limitless possibility lol.

8. Click Here!

9. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Murball7, yeah I chose the island because it looks good AND you get a chance to clean the sides of the tank.., good luck going through your cycle period!!!!!