New tank Cycling, got everything: NH3, NO2, NO3

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by artrichter001, Mar 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Corailline, thanks for the input. Yes, it is an Innovative Marine mini 38 white kit. Appreciate you pointing out that there's more to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites to really consider a tank cycled. I'm interested in knowing when we know our tanks are cycled then. If parameters are not all we need to consider, what else I'm I missing? Just time? I have measured 0 ammonia and nitrites for 6 consecutive days now. Diatoms are appearing on substrate and LT. Nevertheless, I will follow the advise and just get a couple of critters for now. My main concern is to loose beneficial bacteria from a lack of feeding source!

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Put some flake food in the tank.Check again for ammonia nitrite and nitrate.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes you're absolutely right, we as hobbyist only measure critical values, there are things we do not test for that contribute to the term cycled. To accurately test how efficient the tanks biological filter will complete the nitrogen cycle you need to actually test it with a pure ammonia challenge, information if you're interested can be found on many hobbyist sites.

Working in your favor is indeed that fact that you loaded the system with live cured rock. The tank could probably handle one small fish, if indeed you witnessed an ammonia spike and now show no detectable ammonia or nitrites, which seems to be the case.

My concern is that the tank is not yet a week old, I just think it would be prudent to give it a couple more days and stock very lightly and slowly. Snails do need some type of algae and algae film to eat, they will starve in such a young tank. Hermits are well suited for a newly cycled tank, they produce waste, the food you provide them breaks down and contributes to the nitrogen cycle and hermits are hardy. I would however go for the smaller variety. With hermits you maintain and grow the biological filter.

It is a purdy tank!

artrichter001 likes this.
  5. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Been doing that for 3 days with no change in params Vinny :) anyway, Patience! Working on that. I literally sit and stare at an empty tank for hours...and still enjoy it. Fascinating hobby this is...

6. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

So, I've followed your recommendations and this is my sole tank inhabitant for now:

[​IMG]

Skimmer is also beginning to work as it should:

[​IMG]

And finally, this is how my tank looks today:

[​IMG]

Later!

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  7. Corailline

Even an empty tank can be beautiful, very nice.

8. Click Here!

9. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Thank you Corailline!

Today my tank was not that beautiful though. I appear to have a diatom bloom (normal as the cycle reaches its end, so I've read) It is covering 80% of my LR. I assume that, as for everything else, I just need to be patient and wait until it goes away on its own:

[​IMG]

This is how my cycle is looking until today (after 15 days since initial setup). I have seen 0 ammonia for 11 consecutive days, and 0 Nitrite finally today after a 3 day spike. Nitrates have sky-rocketed:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Two questions:

1) Do you think it is safe to assume the cycle is officially over? I will wait a couple weeks before I even plan on adding some livestock though.
    2) For the Diatom bloom: can I buy more CUC at this stage? Maybe snails? I only have a lonely hermit. If the answer is yes, can you please advise what snails would be better suited for taking care of diatoms?

As always, thanks for the input!

10. Corailline

Diatoms will die off once all the silicates released from glass, plastics, sand are utilized, no point in buying any invert to take care of the issue it resolves on it own. Not a lot of snails will eat diatoms anyway.

Yes initial cycle is probably over, the size of the biological filter is probably still smaller and will grow/spread as time goes on.

You're on the right track for sure.

artrichter001 likes this.
  11. rogerstammy

rogerstammy Peppermint Shrimp

Looking great!!!! I Feel your pain looking at an empty tank, it's so hard!!!!! It is well worth the wait, I promise.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

IME It is best not to mix crabs and snails.:)