New tank Cycling, got everything: NH3, NO2, NO3

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by artrichter001, Mar 21, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Hi All!

So I decided to set up a new tank (38 gallon) and has been up and running for 4 days now. Although I'm slightly familiar with tank cycling, this time I have been getting a constant parameter reading of the following:

NH3: 8+
    NO2: 5 ppm
    NO3: 10 ppm
    PH: 7.8

Although I know I'm very early into the cycling process, this is the first time I see these readings since day 1 and with no change whatsoever. I'm cycling fishless with cured lived rock from my LFS and used Arag-Alive for substrate. I did notice the LR was more on the dry side when the LFS delivered it to me (massive die-off?), did not smell bad though.

Would a partial water change to bring NH3 down to around 4 work at this stage? I'm worried about a lengthy cycling period based on the current ammonia levels.

Has anybody experienced Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite readings this high since day 1?

Appreciate any insight!

image1.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

There is always an ammonia spike early in the cycle. The nitrite and nitrate levels already coming up probably means the cycle will be shorter since you already have a good amount of nitrifying bacteria in the tank.

IMO a WC at this point will likely stall your cycle. I would just ghost feed until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

How are you testing ammonia? Ammonia levels over 3-4 ppm( i prefer 3 or lower) can kill nitrifying bacteria and stall your cycle.I would not feed until your ammonia level drops.A small wc may be necessary.
    Be sure your tests and method are accurate.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

It is not necessary to spike ammonia to start the cycle and a mistake I see many make.I prefer soft cycling.(nh3 of 1-2ppm).Remember whatever food you add will just turn into pollution that needs to be removed.I always use flake food to cycle AND PRETEND i HAVE 1 OR 2 FISH IN THE TANK.i FEED THIS WAY UNTIL AMMONIA RISES THEN STOP UNTIL I SEE NITRITE FORM.Sorry for caps.dum keyboard.lol.To be sure of no test annomallies or biofilm that has formed on the glass,filters,media, etc.(and thereby destroyed the next time you clean it).It is necessary for this to occur after some routine maintenance has been completed.The reason it really takes a while for your tank to mature(and have a stable cycle) is you eventually want your biofilm to form on areas of rock or substrate that is not "disturbed" by the aquarist.As soon as you see Nitrate you are "technically"ready for animals;but waiting will breed rewards ime.

DSC reef and mdbostwick like this.
  6. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Thanks Vinny, I'm, testing ammonia (an all other params) using a standard Kit from AP. I also haven't ghost fed. Question, when you say a small WC, would 10% seem reasonable? Would you go for more?

7. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Well, after just 5 days both Ammonia and Nitrites have dramatically dropped to 0.0 ppm. I have never experienced a cycle this fast. Nitrates are appearing at 20 ppm. I have a question, though. For how long do nitrobacter formed during the cycle process "live" without any ammonia sources? I plan on adding clean-up crew and 1 fish next saturday. I don't know if the beneficial bacteria will die if I leave the tank empty for a week. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.

Parameters as of right now:

Ammonia: 0.0
    Nitrites: 0.0
    Nitrates: 20.0
    Temp: 81º
    Salinity: 1.0245
    PH: 8

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Just add a small ammount of food as the bacteria starves rather quickly. As i stated you may see nitrate but I would still wait a little longer.

artrichter001 likes this.
  10. artrichter001

artrichter001 Fire Worm

Hi guys! Another question. Although my tank has cycled, and based on Vinny's recommendation, I decided to hold off from getting fish for now. I will wait a couple of weeks more. What I do want to get this weekend is my CUC as algae is beginning to form on substrate and LR. I am thinking on:

7 hermits
    2 peppermint shrimps
    1 brittle star
    1 emerald crab
    7 cerith snails

My question is: is it ok for me to add all these at the same time? As I don't have fish yet I'm still not feeding. Question 2: is it ok to feed CUC with flakes? Or should I feed them meaty stuff also?

Thanks!!

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I may not add that many things at once. Perhaps get about 1/2 of that or 1/4 of it. You can feed flakes

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Tank is far too young to consider cycled. A couple of hermits for a week or so to let the tank settle. There is nothing in your tank to feed snails, they will starve or die from parameter swings.

What brand of tank? I really like the white backround, Nuvo?