New Tank and Live Rock Help!

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by dustin0479, Jan 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dustin0479

dustin0479 Peppermint Shrimp

Should i just dip all the rock in boiling water to avoid all this nuisance?

Kinda sucks since there is soo much life on the rocks.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I wouldn't, but you cetainly could if it would ease your mind. I stick with my previous statement - put it in, cycle and then lets talk. Aptasia can be handled in a variety of ways - injecting is a great way to go.

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Nuke the rock and start all over. Apstasia can and will survive the cycle and all it takes is one to survive and you nice new tank will be full of them in no time. Peppermint shrimp are also basically like rolling the dice, some will kill them some will not, and in some cases the appy's reproduce faster than the shrimp eat them. I have seen lots of tanks that started with just one or two and the next thing you know they were taken over by the little PITA's.

Its too bad that they are so bad because I kinda like them, it looks really cool when you get a rock covered with them and they are great for keeping the water sparkling clean. There is a tank at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago that is full of them and Marjanos also, it looks really cool. They also have one that is so full of little Flower Anemones that you cannot see the rocks in the tank.

5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Can you get pics of the rock? Does it have any other nuisance hitchhikers?

6. dustin0479

it does not appear to.

There are some sponge's but that would be the worst of it.

7. dustin0479

also some hair algae...

8. Click Here!

9. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I would NUKE that rock. If one of those buggers survives the cycle, which it probably will, it could multiply and then you have a problem that is much more worrisome. NUKE it, start all over. It's life...it will grow back :)

10. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

If it's some nice looking, bio diverse rock. Than I wouldn't nuke it just because of Aiptasia and GHA.

If it's some ugly rock with not much life other than Aiptasia and GHA. Or you just don't want the hassle. Than cook the rock.

11. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

I use pickling lime for aptaisa and have never had it come back.If thats mature live rock I wouldnt nuke it.

12. dustin0479

Here are some crappy images of the rock.
    [​IMG][​IMG]