NEW Superman Monti Soloman Islands

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by adam, Mar 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Never said there's only one colony but with many corals like superman and kryptonite, blue torts ... there are variations that are not "the good stuff".
    That's why I need to see it in person first.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Here's a website that sells true superman and regular .. The price difference is huge.
    Frags And Coral

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

+1 You won't find a superman that size for less anywhere. 1/2" frags usually go for $50 or more. I would definitely buy it if I wanted it.

5. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'd definitely get it if I was interested in the specific coral, frag it up sell off about half of it and you would be able to nearly recover the full price. With a 6inch x 6 inch coral you could frag one half of it cutting it down to 2 6x3 inch pieces, then frag on half into 18 individual frags. That would be a perfect world where you could actually make money from it still keeping a huge chunk, but in reality you will probably frag larger pieces and end up with 8-10 still being able to recover most of your investment then possibly some extra still.

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

No... I can tell you from being in the industry, online coral places really take advantage of people because they know someone will pay it.
    Take for example DFS... I get some SPS from the same people they do, I will sell that same Tenuis for maybe $24.95 and they might have it at $36.95 which isn't huge but then you pay shipping and not only that you don't get to pick out your piece. I would find a decent LFS around you that sells SPS or find a fellow reefer and ask him to frag you a piece.
    With SPS frags SHOULD be dirt cheap with them growing so rapidly and fragging so easily.

Happy buying!

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Personally, I would get it. It is huge! I bought a small frag of true superman and paid a handsome sum for it. That would be a great deal. I know if you really wanted to, you could frag it and take it to East Coast Aquatics. They will give you 1/3 of what they sell it for, so if you can get 3-4 frags, about 3/4-1", maybe even smaller, they will sell them for about $60-$80, that's what their higher end sps usually go for, and you could take away about $70.

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I only have seen in LFS 1 inch frags that dont look that great at least in the store and they are about $50-60. I would have to trust them on what it looks like. They take their pics under 400 watt 20000K no actinics. I have a sunpod with 2 150 watt 20000K. Would the colors looks similar in my tank?

Also I have never fragged a Monti. I could use some helpful tips if possible? I think I would wait a few monthsfor it to adjust to my tank
    Thanks,
    Adam

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't know about your area but I would be very hard pressed to find an LFS that sells that particular type of sps coral, especially one that size. If anything, I could probably get a 1/2" frag from a fellow hobbiest but it would still cost me a pretty penny.

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

No LFS sells that size at all. People say they are fast and others say slow growers. If it is a slow grower I would rather not have to wait a year for a 1/2 inch frag to maybe get to an inch.

12. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

The ones here who would buy it in a second then their is still another 6 1/4 inch piece on their site left. Do most of you already have a Superman Monti?