New Squamosa! (PIC)

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MoJoe, Jan 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Yes, this is my first Radium bulb, my first MH actually altogether. I'd say the color is a very perfect balance of blue/white. I'm running it on a Galaxy select-a-watt ballast 250w/400w, on the 250w setting.

I absolutely looooove the look of the light and was actually trying to decide if I should get the Radium 20K or the Phoenix 14K when ordering. I've never seen the Phoenix with my own eyes so can't really comment there. I was worried the Radium would be too blue, but it's really a perfect balance for me, my corals and fish really pop perfectly. Pics come out more blue than they truly are to the eye, so I just bring my blue down a little and it's pretty much exactly as it looks. Hope that helps a little.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Appreciated.

I figured there would not be the much difference. I loved my Phoenix, but all the talk is Radium, so I got the 20k as well. Mine is about 3 weeks old and it is still burning in. Chrisp white with a slight pink and blue tint. I like it better than the Phoenix ( sorry Dingo ). Just starting to see some color shifts in the corals and coralline algae now. Five to six hours is all the corals can take right now, hopefully that will change.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I'm sure I may toy with getting a Phoenix 14k down the line too though. I'm just in love with this MH lighting, so glad I got it. Colors are so variable depending on how you're firing the bulb that it's so hard to really describe the exact colors. I put mine on a 4 hour cycle for the first few days, I'm now at about 7hrs, everything is starting to get really happy :).

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I just read that the Radium takes 100 burn hours to reach a stable color, just thought I would share, sorry for hi-jack. :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  6. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

good to know, thanks, that would be funny that at the 101st hour it goes a crazy psychedelic neon green color :)

1 person likes this.
  7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

gorgeous clam and tank

8. Click Here!

9. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

First, that is a beautiful clam! Second, your tank looks amazing!