New sps bleaching from bottom up!?!?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by KDtrey5, Apr 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Haha while the challenge is fun it's quite difficult. Ill get a ph value quick.

2. Click Here!

3. KDtrey5

It's so hard to tell but it looks like its right around 8.2 and it has been an hour since the lights turned off.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hopefully it will stop losing tissue, if not you should probably consider fragging.

A pH of 8.2 is a good value. Now you have to run down the SG value in the pico.

Sps are a challenge in a large tank and very difficult to get dialed in, in smaller tanks.

I adjust the chemistry everyday in my 28 gallon to prevent swings, I would not even try it in a pico, unless I was independently wealthy and had all the time in the world to devote to it.

5. KDtrey5

Seems to be getting worse fairly quick.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. Chris!

Chris! Banned

What kind of putty is that that you used? IMO putty directly onto sps is not a good idea. Most(if not all) puttys heat up tremendously and can pose a serious risk to sps, often ending in death.

Atleast your learning with a birdsnest, I learned with a few hundred bucks worth of hot acros a few years ago, most I still havent even been able to replace :( I now glue the frag to a plug or the rock directly with super glue gel and skip the putty entirely (I also noticed my skimmer would go crazy when I used putty even the reef safe aquamend).

7. Corailline

You might be on to something there.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

+1 to that; the second I saw the epoxy I had the same thought. I've read of it being an issue to many others in the past.

10. KDtrey5

I'm not sure what type it is the lfs just cut the coral with a band saw and put putty on it. I have super glue gel. Will that be better?

11. KDtrey5

Should i start to frag it?

12. Corailline

If it's not spreading I would not.

If you hate the look and want to risk stressing it more for it to look better, that is a risk.

You could get a couple good frags out if it currently.

It's just a gamble either way, and no one can give you a definitive answer how it will do if left alone or if you intervene.

I have done it both ways and lost it both ways. Now unless it's a rapid tissue loss I just try to keep things as stable as possible and hope for the best.