New skimmer - potential danger?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Rhameolution, Oct 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello everyone, please bear with me on this long post, I want to get all of my information out there. I currently have a 34 gallon FOWLR tank that has been set up for the past 7 months with a relatively large bioload - 1 Yellow Tang, 1 Convict Damsel, 1 Melanurus Wrasse, 1 Engineering Goby, and 2 Occ. Clowns. I originally just had the clowns and the engineering goby, a fellow serviceman was moving and I adopted the other three fish.

In terms of filtration, I have 30 pounds live sand, about 20 pounds LR and a dual-biowheel filter rated at 350gph. With the large bioload, I took it upon myself to do weekly 5 gallon water changes (about 15% each week). I run biweekly tests of my parameters, and they are pretty consistent at Ph: 8.2, Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: ~5 mg/L, Alk: 8 dKH.

I've now taken the plunge and ordered a protein skimmer, a reef octopus BH-100. What I am concerned about is the old addage - If it's not broke, don't fix it. If I begin using this skimmer and the water parameters drastically change, couldn't I potentially harm my livestock? I just got through reading (in it's entirety) "Putting on the Brakes: How much is too much?" (Advances)

I really want to use the protein skimmer and potentially bring down my weekly water changes to every other week, but I don't want to all of a sudden purify my system of any nutrients my little friends need. Am I being an overprotective parent? Any advice or ideas are much appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Are you concerned about any corals? or just the fish?

If it's just the fish, IMHO, it'll be a positive thing.

4. Rhameolution

There are two leather corals I received as hitchhikers a few months back, I'm not super concerned about them - as a matter of fact they have shrunk considerably since I got them. Perhaps a skimmer will help them out.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A skimmer is not going to change things so drastically that it would be detrimental. With your current bio-load I see it as a positive.

Swisswiss likes this.
  6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The only thing it will drastically change is the nitrates, and according to your readings they are fairly nominal anyways so not a big deal there. It may play with your PH and alk a bit so just keep an eye on it.

7. Rhameolution

That's a relief, thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I'm expecting the nitrates to decrease, am I right to expect this?

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

The skimmer is a great idea I think. Also, I totally realize you got the yellow tang from a friend who was moving, and I think that is a good thing, and not trying to be negative. But the tank you have is nowhere near big enough for that Tang. Ultimately, you are going to want to either upgrade or find the Tang a better home. Even if the tang looks okay in there size wise, they need a lot of space to swim to be healthy long term.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I don't think that adding a skimmer will cause you problems. I think that using it will probably accomplish just what you want, reduce the need to do weekly water changes. It may also bring down your nitrates but with a heavy bioload, it may just keep them from getting too high.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Rhameolution

I completely agree, no offense taken! I really only wanted the melanurus wrasse, but when he had sold everything else off he had those three with no other buyers. I plan on finding homes for the Tang and Damsel, I won't be upgrading my tank til I get restationed late 2014.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Adding the skimmer will help by removing organics that would eventually become nitrates but it will not remove nitrates once they are present in your water.Your water changes will still be your best means for removing nitrates.If you change your routine to biweekly water changes it would be good to continue to test weekly to see how your parameters are doing.

Billme and DSC reef like this.