New site bug thread

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

3reef Search Tips

@peredhil
    Dark skin text missing - I've noticed this too with user list popups. It does blend sometimes. I will add to the list

@homegrowncorals
    You cannot give yourselft a thumbs up. ;) :) there are no thumbs on the 1st post of thread either - only replies.

I have given this more thought and may have a workaround.

You can omit things with the minus sign.
    SO - if you are searching for a filter that is also in your sig, see if there is something else in your sig you can put a minus sign in front of to remove your posts from showing up in the search results.

Example:

Peredhil wants to search for 'Octopus BH-100F' but has this in his sig and is getting his posts in search results.

Peredhil sig:

Well he also has 'GroundProbe' in his sig, so he refines his search by searching for with these terms:

'Octopus BH-100F -GroundProbe'

Now his posts are removed from search results.

More search tips may be found here:
    More search help : Google search basics - Web Search Help

I will post this as a new thread to highlight it

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Matt, is this a temporary work around or the permanent fix? I can use this for now, but this will get tiresome.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I don't know yet. Personally I think coming up with a quick flag for your sig is not very troublesome but everybody is different.
    Ideally I will find a way to remove sigs from search results. I will need to visit the Witch Doctor as serious voodoo may be required.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Well, I'm not really doing that though. I'm setting a flag against a word that may be in other folks sigs potentially, or might be included in a response for some reason or another, etc, or maybe I don't want to exlude threads that i have commented in 2 years ago and don't recall... etc.

I just don't want it searching anyone's sig field, but not excluding certain words necessarily.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point.
    With this Google thing I am hoping that there will be some Google wizards out there that can give us some good tips as well. Their search engine is quite powerful so I am assuming there are options we don't know about yet.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

i bet you're right :thumb_up:

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My skin keeps on changing by itself from classic to mint. Any reason why?

Luna

10. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Mine is switching back and forth almost every time I log in/out. It has become a fun guessing game every time I log in which skin it is going to be, lol.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That blows.
    Please provide details I can go on... what browser are you all using? What method are you using to choose skin? Footer links or User CP? When did this start happening? (I might be able to determine from things I have been dinging on, how I broke it.)
    Do you have special security setting enabled?

12. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

FYI it just changed from "Mint" to the blue one(Classic?) while I was going into a thread.

I am using, Mozilla Firefox. User CP to choose the skin. It started happening when you made all of the changes(I am sure this doesn't help you, but that is when I noticed it). I am not really worried about it, kind of fun guessing which one it is going to be next :cheesy: