New Saltwater Aquarist, lots of questions!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by KatherineM, Dec 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Sounds great minus the nem.
    30 lbs of live sand and at least 1 lb of live rock for every gallon.
    The serpent shouldn't harm anything. Theyre great scavengers.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Well 29 is a little easier like i said previously and provide more space; i think an anemone could live in that? 14 seems pretty small IMO. I'd recommend live sand, and as for live rock get like 1 piece and buy dry base rock; that way the bacteria on the live rock will spread to the base rock. As for the goby and pistol shrimp pair... Just remember that if you do buy a pistol shrimp that you CAN'T get cleaner shrimp, blood red fire shrimp, or peppermint shrimp. It's cuz the pistol will fry their @$$es XD... literally, since its "bullet" that it shoots from its pistol like claws is supposed to be the temperature of the sun or something

4. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

14g need atleast 1 1/2 lbs of rock per gallon. Get 1-2" of dead sand from ebay or macrorock, NOT the home depot sand. MIn tank for anemone is 30g.

5. KatherineM

KatherineM Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

so are there any online places (tried and true preferably) to buy live rock, sand, coral and such?

also, any corals I should avoid? and when do i put coral into the tank? and how? directly onto the live rock?

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

theres a man on e bay has really good rating on the live sand it fiji, unsure of the name right now but search fiji live sand on ebay.

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

well usually u wanna light acclimate corals and drip acclimate them too. drip acclimate is when you put the coral in a bucket and start airline tubing and little teeny tiny drops come out of the tubing; thats how they get adjusted to ur water. do that usually for about an hour. when you place the coral in i'd put it in the sand to light acclimate it; basically it adjusts to ur light. over a few weeks raise it to a higher spot or wherever the coral is supposed to go (if its a low light coral and you put it in a high light area the move it away; corals have specific conditions regarding light too. I'd try liveaquaria for livestock and live rock too

8. Click Here!

9. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

I buy Dead rock from reefcleaners. For dead sand go to macrorocks, live fijisandman on ebay. You should wait a couple months before adding corals. Seems like your rushing into this to quickly.

10. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

ahhh thanks blood kip thats the e-bayers name lol

11. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

His sand is really white.
    [​IMG]

12. KatherineM

KatherineM Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

im not rushing, im just curious, :)

so give the coral a couple months, you all vote no anemone, 1 pound of live rock for every gallon of water, live rock can cycle a tank, serpent star will fit in well, when should the star go in? should i let the tank age a bit? and do I need to feed it anything special?