New Saltwater Aquarist, lots of questions!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by KatherineM, Dec 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KatherineM

KatherineM Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How should I set up the powerheads? I read somewhere that they should be facing eachother on opposite ends of the tank, but that seems like it would just make little mini tornadoes...so should they be facing the same way?

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Its basically trial and error, try diff positions and see what u like. There are dozens of ways to have them positioned. If u have coral that need current then it should point towards them, if not theres no wrong set up you can have, unless its pointing straight at the sand ;) but i think you know better than that.

4. KatherineM

alright thanks :)

Also, I looked at tap water filters, and I know I need an RO/DI filter but I didnt see any that said that? So will basically any filter work? Or what else should I look for?

5. SnooknRedz

either a RO/DI unit or the closest fish store that sells RO water.

6. KatherineM

ok.

So what order do I put everything in? I was planning on, equipment, then sand, then rock, then water. Is that right?

Saw a harlequin sweetlips at Petco, SO awsome!!! If I was getting a bigger tank, that would be one of my fish. lol

When I get the sand and base rock, do I need to do anything with it other than rinse the rock in hot water? what about when I get my live rock?

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

rinse it in saltwater, and as for ro/di units, look up spectrapure; there one of the best out there

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

Order isn't too important I put water in first made it the salinity i wanted. added sand, waited for that to clear up over night. ( some do it sand first) it doesn't matter. then the rock.If its base rock RO water and a toothbrush, and if its live then salt.

10. KatherineM

alright.

So, ive been looking at contest winning tanks, all 30gal or less, and some of the 20gals had tangs, dwarf lionfish, mandarins...??? is that just irressponsible owners? and then in pet store, they keep them in like 15-20gal tanks...

Also, i know reptiles are this way, do fish only grow to the size there enviroment can handle? or will they keep growing even if the area doesnt have enough food/space?

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

yeah most fish grow to the size there environment can handle. at the LFS the fish will usually be in 15-20 gallons because the LFS just wants to sell them. as for the dwarf lions and tangs in a 30 gallon or less, those guys are @$$holes XD unless the fish were still small and not at full size yet

12. KatherineM