New salt water tank

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by PorkyBubs, May 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

the puffer fish have lived in their since day 1 for the tank (other than the 2 week set up). so they are about 7 months old in the tank so i think they will do fine.

I do have yahoo but its not installed so eh, i have MSN messenger or AIM.

2. Click Here!

3. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

black spotted puffer ? kinda greenish as well ?

4. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Green spotted puffer fish.

5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

well good luck to you and your intrests in this hobby , hope you do well with it and read up !

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  6. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

The SW tank looks good. I agree with previous comments though. Slow down. Also, you need to know what you're putting in your tank(compatibility, tank size requirements, any special feeding?,hard to keep?, lighting requirements?)
    before you get it. Not to bum you out (just trying to save you some woe and money), but SW is not the thing for people to just buy you a fish or coral or whatever because they saw it and it 'looked cool' or they 'knew you'd like it' or whatever. If a friend or family member wants to buy something for you then they need to let you see it at the store and if it's healthy and you know its requirements and can support it then they can buy it for you.

I know you're starting out so trust me when I say I'm not trying to discourage you. I just don't want you to get something that will just die or worse, eat all of your other fish or corals.

As to what I saw in the video that red stringy clam looking thing is a flame scallop. You need to provide phytoplankton (can be bought in most pet stores in a bottle) for it on a fairly regular basis. The things on the far right were zoanthids. The shriveled thing on the left is an unhappy anemone. They require strong lighting.

As to your lighting, are you sure those are T5s? I didn't get a good glimpse, but I did freeze the video when I saw a little bit of the bulbs and they looked like compact fluorescents to me. Can you post a pic of them?

The dude by the snail that's "lovin' it" looks like a condylactus anemone.

The protein skimmer looks like there is no air going into it to make the 'vortex' looking funnel that they should have. Is there an air line or something that came with it? (Keep in mind I had to pause the video so I can't see it to well)

All this is just to know more about your tank so everyone can help you out. Better to learn from your own and everyone else's mistakes than to repeat them.:)

Hope the tank is still doing well ( I would suggest moving your bubble tip anemone(the shriveled dude on the left) to a higher position in the tank. If he's stuck to the rock then put the whole rock higher up). Post a pic of your lights and tell us some more about the protein skimmer and we'll see what we can do.:)

2 people like this.
  7. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for the information.

Before i buy any of my corals / fish i ask the dude questions about them. Also i buy cheaper end fish / corals so its not too bad if they end up dieing. Of course i don't want them to die and i haven't had any die other than 1 tester fish that was testing it.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Life isn't cheap.

YOur skimmer is not working either. Did you fix it yet?

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Very inconsiderate to use fish/corals for water tests :-[

Wait, wait, wait...till water params are stable for week or so. Add fish. Test, Test, Test and wait before adding another.

Good Luck.

11. PorkyBubs

PorkyBubs Spaghetti Worm

Explain to me whats wrong with my skimmer? By the way its a Instant Ocean 100 Gallon Protein Skimmer

I had it all tested, used 1 tester fish to test him a while back and he was in there for 2 weeks b4 adding fish. i had a 4 week set up - 2 week fish test. and now its been about 1 1/2 - 2 months with everything u saw in it.