New Reefer and Aiptasia

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Korrigann, Apr 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

These are not just point and shoot lasers. The laser actually requires you to enter in a little code prior to use, so there are no unauthorized handlers of the laser.. The FDA also has required these lasers to come with a safety pin. When the pin is removed the laser will not function, what so ever.

2. Click Here!

3. Korrigann

Korrigann Plankton

I really like the look of these rocks, and there's always a chance that even if I get new rock, there may be some hidden aiptasia in those as well. I think, since there's not that many of them, I'll try to kill them.

Hmm. That is good to know. I think I'll look into this method a bit more.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you can kalk them also - make the paste and seal over the hole.

5. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

I used to have aiptasia like crazy in my 90 gallon. I tried aiptasia-x, joe's juice, and another solution and none of those worked. Seemed like every time I tried to nuke them with some sort of substance they would come back ten fold and harder to kill than before. I can't speak for the kalk paste cause I have never used that method. My next plan of attack (before life got in the way and I got out of that tank, not cause of aiptasia) was to get the berghia nudibranches or peppermint shrimp. I was leaning towards the shrimp cause I heard of many success stories and once the nudibranches eat all the aiptasia they will die cause their natural food source is gone unless you pass them onto a friend that needs them. As your tank is still in the cycling process I wouldn't go with the peppermint shrimp so I would try the kalk paste. If I had known about the laser idea I would have gladly dropped the money to nuke those aiptasia! Trust me you want to get them under control ASAP!

6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

@Flynhawaiin -- being a fellow Millennial, you definitely shouldve known about the friggin aiptasia w friggin lasers on their friggin heads! Its the best way to kill them! and for what it's worth, i hate the term millenial(s)

I have never used paste on aiptasia, but when I was a newb I tried to do this to some ugly brown button polyps. Mixed a strong paste of kalkwasser powder, liberally applied it. They shriveled into nothing for a few months, but then grew back... these have also survived being blow torched. Luckily it wasn't aiptasia, or I believe spores would have been spread everywhere.

The torch seems to be the most sterile, easiest, and by far the most fun method. Kind of scary though, one day, if not already, our government will have these same lasers equipped to satellites and drones.

Lets just hope they don't start zapping US citizens like we're aiptasia! Oh wait, they already do! RIP 16yo Abdulrahman al-Awlaki

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  7. Korrigann

Korrigann Plankton

I ended up going with aiptasia-x. So far I think I've gotten every visible one I could find. Here's hoping I don't see any for a while!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

@ Ashevillian -- I am now well aware of the lasers after your post and I hope I do not have to invest in one later on because as of right now both my tanks are aiptasia free and thats the way I plan on keeping it lol

@Korrigann -- Good luck on your battle with aiptasia! Hopefully it is shorter than the one I dealt with and you can get it all under control. Keep us posted.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good deal! positive karma that the little buggers are gone!