new reef lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Guest, Mar 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm about to transfer my 55 to 75 gal reef. I want to add some clams, xenias, and so on. I've bee e mailing this topic to different sites but most of the time I get diff. answers on wattage for MH's and use PC's or VHO's, or even just use 6 fluorescents. So what do I really need. Also what's this about "ballasts", pulsing or electronic. These is all new to me. Please help me...

Thanks, Oscar...

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Welcome RaddTaz
    Both item you listed have greatly different lighting needs. Most clams demand high light intensity and I would only recommend MH. I have a 75G tank with 2x250W 10000K MH and 2x110W Actinic. Not to say that is the only solution but that was the solution for me.
    The Xinia would also do fine in the MH if placed lower in the tank, as the light requirements are less.
    As for pulsing and Electronic Ballast. A Pulse or TAR ballast is old school coil type ballast. Were as the electronic has a starter in the ballast and a capacitor instead of a coil. I think. There are a ton of bulbs that will fire on either ballast, but the electronic ballast is More $$$ to buy but runs with less $$ and less heat.

Hope this helps
    J

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This link is a great way to see what different ballasts and bulbs look like and what does the best with the ballast. I like the MH but am watching my $ flow right now but that is the way to go.

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

This is a very good article that Matt provided awhile ago.