New Reef Keeper Lite 3 and dosing for 2 part info

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by yamaharider73, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Well guys I have been on the fence for a while about getting a calcium reactor or start dosing 2 part. I read this great thread about dosing vs reactor and made up my mind. I am going to go the 2 part myself.

I ordered 3 BRS dosing pumps BRS 2 Part Doser (1.1 mL Per Minute) - English

the large 2 part cal and alk supplement Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Total Package (Large) - English

And the Reef Keeper Lite 3 Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper LITE System LEVEL 3 (PLUS) - AquaCave

I am sure I can figure out how to set this system up on my own but I am looking for advice on any do's and dont's on any of the parts of the system or the system as a whole. Is there anything I should watch out for or anything I should do before hand?

Great thread BTW-http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/2-part-dosing-vs-reactors-74496.html

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I use the same set-up for dosing calcium and alkalinity. As for dosing Mg, it only needs it every once in a while. I pour that in once ever 2 weeks. I have no problems with it at all and love the simplicity.

For Ca, I dose in the morning and for Alk I dose around midnight to keep an elevated pH during the night.

1 person likes this.
  4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

follwing, im looking to start setting up 2 part too

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I'm a 2-parter as well.. been dosing for 3 years (1.5 yrs with auto dose).

I dose Calcium about 10 min b4 my lights come on in the morning to limit irritation that corals may get when they are fully opened and i split up the dose into 2 segments 10 min apart to help limit irritation ect... (i've never experienced any kind of irritation with 2-part but i play it safe.)
    Also, dose into high flow area. I dose right into my tunze and it mixes it up great. I dosed in the sump for a month but i found that there was not enough flow to mix up the calcium/alk.

like bama said, dose your alk sometime at night after lights are out to help keep pH stable. I dose 12mg at midnight and 12mg an hr. before lights come on.

As for mag I have that on auto as well but it doses very little once a week.

Note. I use the GHL doser so i can tell it what days i want to dose ect...
    GL!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Thanks guys for the information. I am sure I will think of more questions when it arrives and I get it set up. Does anyone else run the controller for other things besides dosing? if so what do you run and how is it set up. Pics would help also.

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  7. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

" The RKL is the only controller under $150 that offers four outlets and temperature control while still providing the customer an upgrade path as their system or needs grow! "
    Little misleading eh"?

I'm also intersted in how people are setting up their 2part dosers

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

With my rkl I have 2 sets of outlets, moon lights, and the switch module for my ato. I control a heater,3 lights, two power heads, return pump, and a fan I think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  10. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

:confused:You lost me:confused:????? Sorry

11. bama

bama Humpback Whale

you can pretty much control your whole system with it. I run almost everything on my tank off of the reefkeeper lite.. Fuge light, return pump, koralias, Heater, Calcium, Alkalinity, Auto-Top Off, Hood and Sump Cooling fans, and monitor pH and Temperature. I have three things off of the RKL which are my skimmer, carbon reactor, and my lights because they have built in timer. Hope this helps!

1 person likes this.
  12. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Yes it does.....Thanks. Right now I have the lights, on timers. I was thinking about using the RKL to monitor PH and Temp, run the dosing pumps, Moon lights, fuge light, and T5's. I was un sure about the MH's. One question is why the Korilla's on the RKL? Are you using it to change directional flow in the tank every so often? Also why the return pump?

Again...Thanks