New or used????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bucsnut79, Aug 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Absolutely!!

Agree that it depends on budget.

M

2. Click Here!

3. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Appreciate the compliment. Just yesterday, for $50, I bought what was to be 60-80 lbs of formerly live Fiji rock. When I came home and weighed it, there was actually 145 lbs!!! Quite a bargain.

4. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

I love bargains, I will get those Vortechs :)

5. bucsnut79

bucsnut79 Plankton

Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. I'm in the process of figuring out what equipment I am going to need to support the system I want to have. I have decided I am going to go with an 85 gallon mixed reef. I know it's gonna cost some money, but I know I'm gonna save some cash in some areas, as well as spend it in others.

6. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

One thing not to cheap out on is the heater. If used, you don't know how old it is and over night an old heater can crank up and kill off your fish. Also, there have been heaters that will explode if ran while out of water too much (during water changes, etc). You don't know how it's been treated and you don't want it blowing up a glass wall of the tank (as unlikely as it would be). Just my .02. Otherwise I usually go used, especially on the tank itself.

7. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

good advice.

Get a titanium one and spend the extra money. Glass can shatter killing everything in your tank.