New or used????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bucsnut79, Aug 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bucsnut79

bucsnut79 Plankton

Ok, I'm new to the group and am going to be getting into the hobby. I plan on going with a tank somewhere between 75 and 120 gallons. Question is, do I buy everything new, or if I find the equipment used, go with that?

Also, is it a good idea to look at buying a system that someone already has up and running? One that comes with all the fish, corals, live rock, etc.? I know that's what my wife is gonna want to go with as she will want the tank running asap.

Any suggestions or comments will help this newbie! Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

I personally would get everything new. You never know how well someone has actually taken care of the tank, and the equipment. I am still getting my setup going, and was thinking about getting used equipment, but found that it is easier to just buy everything new. Although it is more expensive this way, I like having the piece of mind knowing that the equipment I have is not going to break due to the previous owners carelessness. And you don't have to go with the most top of the line equipment.

Hope this helps!

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I think buying used equipment is fine as long as it runs properly & there are no broken pieces.

Buying an entire tank..fish & all?..I don't know. :-/ That doesn't sounds like the greatest idea. There no way of telling what will come along with that tank. I am thinking on the lines of parasites, diseases, etc.

But to buy an entire tank/equipment, with no livestock/sand. That would be cool. I probably wouldn't take the rock either.

On a side note, nice avatar, Goku. lol

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I would buy everything USED except lights... the bulbs and ballasts are expendables. Get new lights, everything else used. I waited a few months for a good deal on craigslist and ended up with a 120gal aquarium, stand, hood, pump, and chiller for $250.

You can find some amazing deals if you wait.

M

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  6. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I have gone the "used method" and it has worked great!!!! I have gotten everything used and it could not have worked better. If you have the money you should get the core items new. The core items mean like Lights, protein skimmer, ect. I bought those 2 things new and got everything eles used and have had a great reef experience. My LFS have a used selection that if it is broken or not working they will not sell it. I bought tank, canopy, sump, pump, oak wood stand,protein skimmer(which i bought a new one of) and all the tubing for $300. I was looking for a 55 gallon that day and couldn't pass up the deal. And NASA geek is true, you can find some amazing deals out there is you just look around. I own a swimming pool company and i go to different houses every single day and that week i walked into a house with a beautiful 150 gallon reef tank. Well i was talking about it and said i just bought a 70 gal. and the lady said that she was selling it all because it didn't catch her eye any more. So with all that said i traded work for fish and had a $2,000 shopping spree in her tank. I walked out with all of her 130 lbs of live rock, sand, coral, water(yea i know...pathetic :) and chiller. I would say i have gone the used method. Well thats my story.. hope you enjoyed it :) all you got to do is look around.....

7. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

I'd do a mixture of both:

Buy new:
    - tank
    - stand
    - rock (buy dead rock, not live)
    - replace the bulbs, if you like the fixture

Buy used:
    - powerheads
    - controller
    - protein skimmer (make sure it runs, and runs quietly)
    - sand (you can kill it and restart it)
    - return pump

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I would also consider, if you are in the position to, doing a DIY stand(if you can't get one used). You could build it custom for yourself & it should cost quite a bit less.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Best to start off new, especially being new to the hobby as you really don't know what to look for when dealing with used equipment.
    Getting into the hobby, you definitely do not want to start off on the wrong foot with faulty used equipment that is leaking, missing parts, or may not be right for you but since it is used and cheaper you decide to buy it anyway.
    If you are going to buy used, best to check it out with a friend/experienced person to help you make the right choice.
    You wouldn't buy a used car without having a friend who is knowledgeable with cars or a mechanic to help you make the right choice....same with used equipment.
    Good luck and enjoy the hobby...

11. stauchistory

stauchistory Feather Duster

Used is much better as long as the equipment is in good working order. Why spend tons of money on new, and then decide saltwater is not for you. If you decide you like the hobby, then you can slowly start buying new equipment.

12. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

Well if those replies dont confuse the hell out of him lol ;)

A multitude of different views which I think none are iether right or wrong. At the end of the day the one factor is how much money and what type of tank you are setting up. If your aim is to have a mixed reef then without doubt you will end up spending more on equipment.

Pointless spending $1000 on a tank if all your budget leaves is enough to buy a $50 skimmer.
    I say figure out what you want, what you need and how much you have to spend and or can afford, you will end up spending more than you planned without a shadow of a doubt.

If your loaded and have a bottomless pocket then buy new, figure out in a few months you iether bought the wrong kit or simply dont need it, Ebay it and let us poorer people snap up a bargain :)

Oh and Stauchistory makes a superb argument for going down the preowned way. Look on the classifieds sections on forums like this, not only will you most likely get a bargain but you generally get good equipment, most members dont want to look like a conman or get a rep for selling crap!

All the best

1 person likes this.