New Odyssea 716W metal halide T5 combo fixture

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by pjracer, Aug 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

looking realy nice and now your not limited on coral selection

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

stock bulbs are beyond crap and many people have noticed other ballasts will perform better then the stock ones. however they do get the job done.

(I do own several oddysea fixture btw)

4. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

I have my first SPS on the way. we'll see how they do. bulbs work good that come with it but I'm not sure how the spectrum holds up to the rest. I do know when it comes time to change i will be going with Phoenix or ushio 14k.

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Looks like a great fixture for the price, but I can't find it for sale anywhere....

M

6. pjracer

Wow your in Huston you can go pick it up. I checked the two sited i know and they are out. you can email topdogsellers from ebay and ask him. I would also go to Odyssea Metal Halide System I have been told that this site is the manufacture. They are cheaper but they are out of stock and I didn't buy from them so i cant vouch for their shipping.

7. Reuben

Reuben Astrea Snail

Anyone done any actual PAR tests with these lights?

8. Click Here!

9. pjracer

Fill me in on what PAR is?

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Excerpted from this article

PAR is probably one of the most important considerations along with the related Useful Light Energy, Lumens per Watt, Focused Lumens and Watts per Gallon when choosing a light for your aquarium, yet is often over looked by both marine and freshwater pant keeping aquarists.

PAR is the abbreviation for Photosynthetically Active Radiation which is the spectral range of solar light from 400 to 700 nanometers that is needed by plants for photosynthesis. This is found from actinic UVA to infrared; 400-550nm (of which 465-485 has the highest PAR of the actinic range) which is the absorption bandwidth of chlorophylls a, c², and peridinin (the light-harvesting carotenoid, a pigment related to chlorophyll) and ~620-700nm which is the red absorption bandwidth of chlorophylls a and c².
    Photons at shorter wavelengths (Ultraviolet –C or UVC) tend to be so energetic that they can be damaging to cells and tissues; fortunately they are mostly filtered out by the ozone layer in the stratosphere. Green light occupies the middle spectrum (550-620nm; what is mostly visible to us) and is partly why chlorophyll is green due to the reflective properties.
    Bulbs that emit mostly actinic light will have a lower PAR (although actinic UVA still occupies an spike in PAR as seen from the graph and improve the PAR of your lighting), bulbs that occupy mostly the middle spectrum (yellow-green) such as “warm White (2700K) will produce little necessary PAR, while bulbs that produce mostly infrared will produce more important PAR (as seen from the graph), however it is the balance of infrared and UVA that will generally provide your best PAR output.