new octo guy!!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by loneracer05, Dec 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

well let me start with some back round. my friend wanted an octopus about a year ago or so so i started digging about them and learning all about them as much as i could anyway. the lfs got one in the other day so we jumped on it. we wer told it is a cool water species and a tank with no heater should be fine. she had a fo manchu lion in a 29 bio cube so we took him out and took the little guy home.hes in his critter carrier sunk in his new tank.

i got off work around 5 and started octo proofing his new tank. well im calling it a night knowing i am about 85% done escape proofing the tank:)

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

he is eating frozen  food already and eats like a champ im down to one un answered question i know they dont have light requirements just not bright. but what bulbs should i get him for the 29 gal biocube?

ps sorry bout the font idk whats goin on with it 

4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Make sure he doesn't come out the tank.. They are very smart creatures and can find their way out.
    I'm sure you can get regular pc lights.

5. loneracer05

he has standard oc lighting that came with the cube but not sure the kelvin too get. 

as for making sure he cant get out the largest hole is tiny tiny plastic mes that i used to cover every opening. this is not my first octoproof tank but this is my first octo of ”my own” ill have pics when i can figure out why my pda is being retarted

i dont know whats going on with the ongoing changing font lol

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

pics!!!!!!!

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

ugh, that font is terrible!!! :eek:

looking forward to pics...

I don't know about not regulating the temp of your water... not saying it necessarily needs a heater, but I'd imagine it would want some level of consistency...

As long as the beak can't fit through the hole, the hole is small enough. But if the beak can fit, the rest of it can too. Probably already know that, just throwing it out there just in case...

good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Most octo's live a bit deeper where there is less light. When I think of a cool octo tank I like the lighting to simulate that, so I would get only acnics. Blue light penetrates pretty deep in the real ocean, and that's how their true environment would look.

10. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

Is it a pigmye species if not imo a 29 is to small.

11. loneracer05

the room temp is kept constant at 70 so the water temp will not fluctuate much if at all

it is a pygmy so im told by the lfs guy who i trust but i guess we will see shortly if its tru haha

this tank will be in inexplicable to him like i said it is small mesh somewhere around 1/16 inch openings on the inlets and out puts and a solid wall to the lid of the tank .

he looks to be about 14 inches arm tip to arm tip pics will be up hopefully later this week my phone is being stupid gotta love verizons phones :(

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i think we need pics for proof. you know, to make sure your not making this up or anything. :p