New OCReef Linear CREE LED Aquarium Light

Discussion in 'OC Reef Aquatics' started by ocreef.com, Jul 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I placed the unit I purchased directly on my tank yesterday, and the shadows were horrible. Areas of my rock completely dark. However when I raised the light to the level where my T5's were it made a big difference. Too close to the water creates a spot light effect?

If you had your light that low, try raising it a few inches and see if that helps. I wouldn't say it is the equivalent to a single T5, just not sure if it can replace my 4 bulb T5 with 2 ATI Blue Plus and 2 ATI Blue Special.

2. Click Here!

3. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, raising it helps significantly, however for my tank for it to be effective it needs to be 16+" above the water, which seems to be really high(my T5s were only 5" over) and I still get terrible shadows. I cannot decide if I am going to purchase another one and hope for the best or go back to the T5 fixture I used to use.

I really feel that a single light would be perfect for a 12" wide 55 gallon and maybe 2 would suffice for my tank.

I am really hopeful that when I get home my corals are open and extended as I really want this light to work. I am so tired of paying an arm and a leg for electric... Guess it comes with the hobby.

Sent from my Evo

4. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I agree on 1 for a 55G. I have a 90 and knew going in 1 unit wouldn't cut it. I had planned on using a 2 bulb T5 I have along with this. I still have to get something to hang it from the ceiling.

Not only cost of electricity, but cost of new bulbs each year!

If each of these is equivalent to a 4 bulb T5, then it is a good deal. 60 watts vs. 216 watts is great, plus saving $100 plus per year on bulbs.

5. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I also got it and I agree with others that the spread is kind of a problem, but my wife really like the shimmer effect! In general I am happy with it but if there is an easier way to place it high directly over the tank rim it will be better!
    Do you still have more units in stock? Cause I might need another one by the end of this month when I upgrade to my 90. Is the $229 price going to be effective?

6. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

This is exactly what I was thinking of before I ordered. My fixture was damaged at some point between leaving OCReef and when I picked it up from FedEx so I have no idea what the light actually looks like when it is on. But my original plan was to supplement the OCReef light with my Dual T5 fixture until I could get another OCReef fixture.

7. MyBoyGus

MyBoyGus Flamingo Tongue

I ordered this hanging kit. I really didn't want to hang lights from the ceiling (wife doesn't know yet :uhoh:), but it is the only thing I can figure to do. Plus it will allow me to adjust height.

8. Click Here!

9. ynzheng

ynzheng Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

well for my observation it is definitely not as bright as 4 bulb T5... but it might be the case that the LED spread is not so even so some spots look dark some are bright so I cannot judge the light well...

But from the reaction of my coral it is definitely brighter than a 2bulb T5...so we still saved a lot of energy.

10. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

looks like a super nice light thanks OC

11. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

bump for an answer

12. ocreef.com

ocreef.com 3reef Sponsor

Good Morning All,

First I'd like to thank all of the hobbyists who left great feedback about the OCReef Linear / Silo Light both on here, and on other reef aquarium forums. For hobbyists who have not already left feedback, please leave feedback for this product below from the following links.

http://www.ocreef.com/reviews.php?category_id=5052&item_id=103149

OCReef.com in Dana Point, CA - RatePoint Reviews RatePoint

Regarding all hobbyists who'd like to get another unit, we are currently out-of-stock again on this light, however when we do get more in, we'll inform you, and allow you to get a discount for being a 3Reef.com forum member.

Note to Mr. Sperry, we do have one for you, to replace yours that got damaged by the shipping carrier, so no need to worry about hearing that we are out-of-stock. Yours will continue in transit, on Tuesday September 6th.

*To answer the question from above regarding the difference between the OCReef Linear, and the OCReef Silo Linear. There is absolutely no difference, we are testing different names for this light for marketing purposes. This is because we are now selling this light in the U.S. and Canada, and most recently we started selling them worldwide, including Australia, Brazil and Singapore.

We do have a few other new products that we just rolled out, see the links for these below.

- We have given our CREE X-Series a couple of new features, including adding (4) 3 Watt UV's, for enhanced coral fluorescents:
    CREE XM-L - PAR38 - Affordable LED Aquarium Lighting - Fish Tank LED Pendants

- We now offer the OCReef Lumen Aqua Tablet 36 Watt Aquarium Light:
    CREE Lumen Aqua Tablet LED Light 36 Watts - Water Proof Lumen Aqua

- We now offer a SMD (Surface Mount Diode) 5050 Blue Accent Strip Light:
    Blue Accent Aquarium LED Lighting Strips - A stunning Blue LED Effect

Regards,
    Dave