New Nano!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by omard, Jul 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

a lil piece of info....

Tank bred clownfish, True and False clowns both sell for $5 wholesale. Gotta love retail markups, haha.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Does not seem to be much difference...will just call mine "percs" - who knows? who really cares? about all the rest.

By my accounting I got these fish basically "free" anyway. They are special fish to me, and hence why they got their own home.

The only things to go in with them will be a blood cleaner shrimp, couple of hermits, couple of snails. (maybe one of those pretty little red stars)

Other then that, it will remain a "perc" tank only.

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I like fire shrimp :)

You should ditch the fire though (since you have one in the big tank) and get a colony of sexy shrimp!

If you do softies (yumas, rics etc) and other 'anemone' like things they are sooooooo cool to watch interact.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Are blood shrimp & fire shrimp one and the same?

Ok, will look into the sexy's...

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ok so, I have found that there are a 2 good ways (I know of a third...but do not remember the specifics of it... - Eye Color -) to tell between these two little fish.

The amphiprion percula, it is the true Percula Clownfish, while the A. ocellaris is the false as you already stated.

First tip - COLOR -

True percula: The true percula usually are going to be a crisp or deep orange color with three white bars. The middle bar having a forward-projecting bulge. These guys also usually have jet black margins around the white bars. Ususally these bars are pretty thick, but they do not have to be. (My female's black bars are much less than the male's)

False percula: The false percula is also ususally orange in color with three white bars. However, for the most part the color is more of a faded or brilliant orange. The middle bar also has a forward-projecting bulge. Although somtimes no black margins are present present, most of the time there will be a thin, black margins around its white bars. IT WILL NEVER BE THICK. So remember, the true percula might have thin black bands, but the false will never have thick.

Second tip - DORSAL SPINES -

True percula: If you are able to snap a good enough picture to count the doral fins, the true percula will most often than not have 10 dorsal spines...sometimes 9.

False percula: Same idea goes for the false percula, if you are able and count 11 spines, most likley you got a false percula. Also, the anterior part of the dorsal fin is taller for the false percula.

Hope you all enjoy :)

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

12 gallon Nano Cubes feature 3-stage mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration, compact fluorescent light fixture with 24-watt 50/50 lamp(s), splashguard, energy-saving "flicker free" electronic ballast, flip-top canopy, and a submersible 106-gph pump for a thriving mini-biotope. Nano Cube Deluxe doubles the light output with two 24-watt 50/50 compact fluorescent lamps to meet the needs of the serious reef enthusiast. 13-3/4" x 15-3/4" x 14-3/4" high.

Wish I had gone ahead and got the "Deluxe" version. But at time, price was too high.

Use this link to order: Nano Cube

Also get 15% off by putting "dodge" in coupon block at checkout.

DFS told me this was a long expired ad - and they were taking it down.

But still up on web as of this AM...so they will honor it.

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

There is not a 100% guaranteed way of telling for sure which is which. Both descriptions cross over into each other. Its like most breeds of other animals, in one species you can have all sorts of colors and markings. By the general descriptions, where do the misbars and "naked"(no stripes) fit into the picture and other deformalities. IMO, its the same fish, just different names, if people put TRUE in front of a name it justifies them(in their minds) for charging more. Just like you can take 2 small similar sized clowns, about 1", and wah lah, you have yourself a pair of clowns. Might not be a mated pair, but will eventually become a mated when one of them morphs into the female.

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Like I said, there are a pretty good methods to tell...not 100%. But these fish are not the same...if you take DNA from both, they will be different. Also, of course there will be abnormalities...ie perculas with no black etc but they is just that, an abnormality. Finally...the whole point is that the only reason why we use true and false is because so many people list A. ocellaris as amphiprion percula...

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I would like to see DNA test results of both Amphiprion ocellaris and Amphiprion percula.

The Onyx ocellaris are classified as Amphiprion ocellaris but do not meet the standard Identification of Amphiprion ocellaris.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I just found the definitive difference.Amphiprion ocellaris are from Andaman Sea to Moluccas (Western Pacific). Amphiprion percula, are found living from Papua to Melanesia (Eastern Pacific).