New Member - New Project

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo31, Apr 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

Hi there, ;D
    Well I hope you have all read my welcome to the forum post, if so you will know my aims, what equipment I have and what is on order. :eek:
    This post is so you guys and see and maybe give me some much needed advice on setting up the aquarium. :confused:
    Equipment which I have so far !!! 8)
    External pump & filter with internal UV (has ballast trays inside, which media is best for saltwater?:confused:) The crappy filter which came with the tank I was going to use as an aid to a skimmer, the inlet would be placed around 1 inch below the water line and used with media in the blue tray.
    On order I have a heater, hydro meter and skimmer. I have read on the forums that I need water movement, please could someone advise what and how many I would need for this tank ? Where are they to be placed ?:confused:
    As you can see I am in the setting up stages, which I thought was the best time to ask for advice !! I am in no rush to get it up and running, getting it built is going to be a mission !!! but I do want it set up right.
    What I am looking to place in the tank is live coral and fish. I can get advice here but in broken English, so hence why I am turning to the forum.
    If anyone could give me some advice I would be grateful.
    Hope to get to know you well and I will keep posting my project in this thread so everyone can see.
    Thanks in advance !!! :-/
    Ill add another post for the rest of the pictures 8)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

More pictures

Hi there,
    a few more pics

Attached Files:

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

wifes not included ? dam....LOL

5. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

LOL, No she does not come with the tank – but for the right price !!! LOL
    Main questions I need replies on.
    1) Lighting, in the hood of my tank I have three tubes, in the rear one I was going to add a large UV tube. Please let me know if there are any special tubes needed for the tank ?
    2) Media for the filters, which works best, which is the most stable ?
    3) Flow jets, how much flow is needed – what make is best ?
    4) Air – I am getting an air pump which I will place one tube in the “Crappy filter” the media section before the return to the water and another to be placed in the skimmer – is this correct – do I need one in the tank it-self ?
    5) Gravel - sand ???? What is the best base for the tank ???
    6) In Dubai the water from the tap is salt water, which is treated for drinking water !! How will I get the water correct? I can get mineral water like “evian” !!! & add this ?

6. Eli_The_Eel

Eli_The_Eel Fire Worm

See if your shop sells water, that's the easiest and safest way. It can be a little more expensive than mixing your own (but you live in an apartment in Dubai, I'm assuming that won't be a problem ;))

7. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

Worth a shot, but incase they dont sell the water - what then ???

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, Dubai uses desalinization plants to provide water for people to drink. If this is the case, it's probably RO water, which is good. Just check some tap water for the parameters we use in marine reef tanks and go from there. If not acceptable, just get an RO/DI unit for your apartment.

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>

11. nemo31

nemo31 Astrea Snail

Right some new additions already !
    I have brought today:
    An air pump, heater, dark blue metallic spray paint for the rear of the tank, media for the filters and got a little Chinese guy coming around to erect the bloody cabinet !!! Then I can start getting all the equipment mounted and put underneath all tidy.
    The skimmer is on order and will be with me on Thursday as will the hydro meter, also then I will pick up the sand for the bottom of the tank and get this puppy fired up.
    I have read a thread on lighting and will also get some metal-halide bulbs for the tank as well.
    The 3 step guide for setting up an aquarium is a good source of information for any new starter like me.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont think that you'll be able put one UV bulb under the hood. UV bulbs always come in a tube like enclosure for your protection. UV bulbs are very dangerous to look at and on your skin.