new member lookin for help

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Randallgr, Sep 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Randallgr

Randallgr Plankton

Hello from Indiana,

I just bought a 45 gallon corner tank/stand saltwater setup from Craigslist, but I just can't get it clean.
    I was able to get the easy stuff cleaned, but I can't clean the hard water stain in the glass.

I've tried straight vinegar, 50-50 vinegar/water, vinegar/water/salt, I've tried the Bar Friends Cleaner(that helped little, but not much), 1500grit wet/dry sandpaper(that helped little, but not much), and a lot of elbow power, and used a razor blade during each way I tried to clean the glass.. I do not want to use any chemicals.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help

I little bit of myself. 36 yr old male, with a 15 old son, unfortunately living in Indiana. :)

I've had fish/pets most of my live, and I currently have a 3 yr old female German Shepherd, a 40g long freshwater with a 10" Arowana, 4" Firemouth, and a 4" albino Oscar, with a couple 3"-4" algae eaters.
    55g tank with a 16 yr old male painted turtle that was found on a golf course, and we think it was hit with a mower because he is missing a rear leg..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef Randal.. I would take straight vinegar and turn the tank on it side, apply and let it sit/stand and then use a razor blade, very carefully if the tank is glass.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You can also try some CLR.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. Randallgr

Randallgr Plankton

I've heard of people using clr, but I'm afraid of it soaking in the silicone..

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome to the site and the salt side of the hobby! I can't think of anything else not already mentioned - good luck! I love corner tanks - I had a 54 corner for many years.

7. Randallgr

Randallgr Plankton

thanks. How many actually have used CRL to clean the inside glass in their tanks? Is it really safe as long as you flush your tank fully a few times?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

What about muriatic acid.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I used CLR once, the tank didn't leak

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  11. Vinnyboombatz

I think the op is worried about toxicity.Clr is mostly lactic acid and non toxic.Whatever small amount actually gets into the silicone would be easily removed via carbon and skimming and shouldn't be an issue.

12. Vinnyboombatz