New Maxima Clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Xiztence, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Yes, I did i found out in this website you gave me Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Giant Clams
    Mines looks just like the one that say's "Example of Pinched Mantle Syndrome in Tridacna maxima; © Clams Direct"

2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

I'm going to do the freshwater dip for 20 mins, Is this a good idea or no?

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

20 mins should be fine. youre using RO water?

5. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Yes, I'm heading out to buy a PH buffer. BRB I'm also going to upload a pic of what it looks like now & will update 3reef in 48 hours.

1 person likes this.
  6. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

Good Luck, I just got a clam in the mall from Reef Empire and in like 5 minutes of being in my tank the thing opened up really big, so I really think their is something wrong with the clam.

I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated!

7. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Here is a pic of it now
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

i look forward to the after. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hmmm, I just read this thread through. It is possible your clam has pinched mantle, or it is possible it isn't happy in its position - may be harassed by a fish in your tank (got any dwarf angels?), or may not have enough light. Personally what I would have done is to first move it up onto the highest rock in my tank and expose it to as much light as possible (and turn down the current in that area so it isn't blasted by too much flow). And if it is still not opening after 3 days of that, then I'd try a freshwater dip.

You see, the dip is going to stress the clam out in many ways - the freshwater/change in osmotic pressure is a huge stress, as is the movement into and out of the tank, and the possible air exposure along the way. I tend to reserve these dips when I know that my alternative is a certain death.

Anyway, if you haven't done the dip yet, consider my suggestion above. And if you have done the dip, best of luck and keep us posted on its recovery (hopefully).

11. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

I haven't done it yet, I just moved the clam more up on a rock to see if it opens up in a couple a days if not im doing the freshwater dip. Also I don't have any angels, Only 1 yellow tang, 1 Hippo tang, 2 clown fish, 1 Yellow tail damsel, 2 Green Chromis

12. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok. Just make sure it isn't getting blasted by current. Clams like low flow. High flow (or even moderate) may cause them to not open fully.