New kenya tree, not opening up?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Boywithafishtan, Jul 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Alright, i'll see what i can do then :) I'm happy to hear that they like growing in low light places, because i got a great spot for them to go crazy with the growth then! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Boywithafishtan

Boywithafishtan Coral Banded Shrimp

Hm, thats strange. Kenya trees can tolerate almost anything it seems :)

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Hence why many consider them weeds...

5. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

SSAAY WHAAATT!! Guess that goes to show what I thought I knew, I always thought the more brown the coral the more photosynthetic they were. I just saved one from petco Friday and if I had any idea I had to feed it I never would have gotten it. Mine opened up the same day, but can't says I blame it going from petco water to mine. This is a Kenya right?

Attached Files:

6. ktz216

ktz216 Flamingo Tongue

The kenya tree will be just fine. It's hard to kill it, even if you try to lol.
    I've kept them under lower lighting and high lighting, and they grow just fine where ever I place them. I recommend you don't put them under high flow though, because when they drop buds the pump will send those buds everywhere and they'll grow in places you don't want them to grow.

7. GiseleLentine

GiseleLentine Banned

The Kenyan trees are really a tough breed..my uncle had been in possession of two of them in his yard since my childhood and i guess they are just great..they face almost everything but still stand in glory.,

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They're talking about corals. Not trees.

10. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

weird, just like everyone here, mine stays open no matter where i put the guy...it really is like a weed. And on top of that, my flame angel loves to nip on it and every so often she manages to rip a chunk out and I just take a plug and glue it on and watch it grow off that. Now I have an automatic fragging machine lol.

11. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Spaghetti Worm

I disagree. mine was at the top of the tank under t5 HO's and did absolutely great. It just doesnt like being blasted with flow. It needs about medium flow. In order to shed but in most cases people with lower light have had them spread everywhere.

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Kenya's just don't care.......you could almost keep them in gasoline.