New Here - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JackRyan, Nov 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

so these lights have different options, 90 degree, 60 degree, neutral whites...could you explain these?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yes and no! they are adjustable so you can make it look how you please, which is the added benefit of leds. But I have a feeling your tank will look similar, colors look better in the 14-16k spectrum IMO, but you can run them wherever you like!

4. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

alright I think I'm going to go for it. Plenty of time to get the second one. I-O!

Edit: I dont understand the buying options, can u explain these?

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

90 degree is the angle they shoot down at, basically the smaller the degree the more focused they are, so you don't really need that on a 55, I'd do 90 or even 120 unless you're going to do higher light corals at some point and then get the 90! And I'd just get the standard fixture, or if you KNOW your not gonna do much SPS, get the Cree fixture and you'll be done with it for sure, plenty of light.

But the bridgelux should be fine for you for a long while;)

neutral whites and cool ****es are just 2 different spectrums, neutral being more yellow, a mix is always good

6. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

awesome. really appreciate ur advice/help.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

no worries bro, the best advice I can give you is to always ask here before you buy, it'll save you a ton of money, time and dead critters!

3reef rocks;)

good luck and ask away;)

8. Click Here!

9. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

how would u mount these? I don't really want to hang them from the ceiling

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

custom make a hanger, a few threads on here about that or grab some wall hangers from lowes. but honestly, these things are so light I 'd hang them from the celing with 2 small hooks that you'll never know was in there if you move!

11. oyf709

oyf709 Bristle Worm

You gonna find your camera pick up your aquarium a lot more blue than the actual color. It is the common issue with now days digital camera and their strange white balance setting. However, you will need that "blue" looking in your light to promo the proper coral growth and coloration.

12. JackRyan

JackRyan Astrea Snail

I currently have about 65 pounds of dry rock (base rock) coming in the mail for my first 55 gallon. Starting the tank from scratch along with sand. Do I need a couple pieces of live rock as well or will the dry rock eventually cycle it's self(assuming much longer time)?

I'm a little nervous about getting the bad critters I've read about. Not able to identify what is good or what is bad quite yet.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012