New here, My new Reef tank/ Sump Tank/ Stand build also some questions

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Reuben Gunderson, Sep 20, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reuben Gunderson

Reuben Gunderson Plankton

Okay put the water in on thursday its now been two days. I mixed it in the tank so i had to deal with salt fog in there next time ill mix it in the brute. Here are my first readings after adding 25 Lbs of Live rock today.
    Salt 1.025
    NH3 0ppm
    Ph 8.0
    NO3 0ppm

[​IMG]

Zissou likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thats gonna be a very nice looking tank! It s nice to watch others progress. I think that adding water in for the first time could be the most exciting part of starting a new tank. It kind of makes it real and there have no issues yet!

Zissou likes this.
  4. Reuben Gunderson

Thanks man! Im so excited When i started this tank i was more worried then anything ... Worried it would leak etc but so far so good only issue im having is the pump is pumping more water then the drain can support. The drain is a 2.5" sump is 1 in return i have a 3 chamber sump tank and the return pump is in the last chamber. I drew a line and after about a day and a half the water lever drops. I have been trying to dial it in with the pump valve on the back but haven't dialed it in yet. Im just worried about the pump pumping too much and running out of water and burning up. Any helpful tips to dial this in?
    Also i live in Arizona and its October and i haven't seen my temp drop below 79 degrees i think im going to need a chiller after the winter. Any tips on these? do they take up a lot of space in the sump?

5. skyjacker07

skyjacker07 Plankton

Chillers don't usually go in the sump, they have their own lines where water is pumped through, if you have the room, they can go in the stand too, if not it'll have to be placed somewhere else.

6. Reuben Gunderson

Current status... 3 weeks into cycling no real ammonia boosts tried adding shrimp but still waiting I do have pods in my tank though. LFS recommended trying to leave the lights on a bit to speed it up.Currently have 30 lbs of live rock i bought from the LFS, 10 Lbs of Dry live rock i bought on marine depot, 30 lbs of dry sand and 20 lbs of Dry crushed coral. I also added a powerhead =)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    DSC reef likes this.
  7. Reuben Gunderson

and... Its ready ... =) got my first fish and coral yesterday Fire Goby and Green star polyp its been 24 hrs and everything seems pretty happy...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skyjacker07 likes this.