New here, My new Reef tank/ Sump Tank/ Stand build also some questions

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Reuben Gunderson, Sep 20, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

The Red Sea test kits are nice because you can buy just the regents when needed and don't have to buy a complete test kit again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Reuben Gunderson

Reuben Gunderson Plankton

awesome do they make one that has everything i need or do i have to buy each test kit separately? Also is there anything you would exclude testing in a 55gallon reef/salt tank?

4. Reuben Gunderson

5. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

this is my personal view on testing water...... Crucial things to test for at all times are: Ph, Alk, Ca, Mg, No3, Po4, temp. and Salinity.....

on a newly set up tank like yours, No3, No2, Nh4 (nitrate, nitrite and ammonia) are the first three things you want to test and keep in check as they will not only tell you when your cycle is over, but can also have direct negative health on your FISH if they are too high (let alone your corals)....high levels of these three will harm your fish and obliterate your corals....

once you have those stable you'll want to focus on the next compounds for the corals well being/environment. these are Ca, Mg, Alk and Po4 (calcium, magnesium, alkalinity and phosphates) should these elements be too high they will hinder your corals but not your fish immediately.

pretty simple right?...... wrong..... most of these compounds work in tandem, meaning if one goes off it will drag others down with them (calcium and alk for example)

here are some good articles to read....

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/11/chemistry

but remember, the key to all this is stability weather on the low range of things or on the high if you are able to keep your number from over fluctuating its already a big part of the battle won.... dont get caught in chasing numbers, you'll end up dumping product after product in your tank hoping to correct one thing while another one goes crazy..... at first regular water changes are your best bet in keeping water stable, especially in smaller system (0-150gallons)....as times goes by and you learn to observe your system and you'll instinctively know when something is off by looking at a coral.....

don hesitate to ask if you have any further questions

DSC reef likes this.
  6. _alex_

_alex_ Feather Duster

Yes that kit will get you started. As those are th 3 basics to salt keeping. As you move into corals like mentioned above you'll need to keep an eye on some other things.

Also get your self a refractometer and calibration solution. This is a lot better way of testing your salinity than a plastic swing arm tester

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Reuben Gunderson

awesome! lots of good help thanks again guys! i have alot of reading to do before i get it set up but its looking good and im excited to get started. Ordered my heatsink &led's &fans & also the parts for my Temperature control box! Lots of fun projects!
    thanks again ill update this thread with my progress.

Zissou likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Here is what I test for using Salifert kits & a cheap refractometer.

Salinity
    Alk dKH
    Cal mg/L
    NO3 mg/L
    pH
    Temp F

DSC reef likes this.
  10. Reuben Gunderson

Okay guys! parts have shown up ...
    I routed my electrical on the back and installed cabinet hardware to match the brushed metal look on the door and the cover.
    Today my 34" heat sink arrived and mounted it to the PVC canopy that ill be using. I mounted it with spacers and stainless screws, The empty sides of the canopy will house two fans to blow air current over the heat sink. I also mapped out where and what LED ill be having on the heatsink. The back row im going to use a moonlight/ always on the other 3 rows will be controlled with a 24hr timer. Let me know what you think! thanks for all the help thus far!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DSC reef likes this.
  11. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Let there be light!

DSC reef likes this.
  12. Reuben Gunderson

Today is the day my LEDs arrive =) also my led controller and some MISC parts. Last night i built my Temp controller box and mounted it and tested it. Today im adding a few fine touches while i wait for the mail man. I ran the Temp sensor into my drain area and mounted a project box and also installed some connectors for my 12v plug that will run my fans. The project box will house the 4 LED drivers and ill be adding a 8 pin connector between the project box and the Led fixture so i can easily remove the two from each other.
    after today all i will need is a protein skimmer and testing kits and ill be ready to fill this thing!
    Well here are some photos
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swisswiss and DSC reef like this.