New here. Is this a good set up to start out?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mr11, Jun 29, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mr11

mr11 Plankton

So I've always wanted a saltwater tank and I have just been offered a trade for one. The thing is I don't know much about them and need to move semi-quickly if I want to get the deal done. So here's what's included:

36 gallon seaclear bow front tank, stand, glass canopy, aq ultraclear 30, 60lbs of sand, 30lbs of live rock, siphon hob overflow?, 10 gallon sump? (pump?), magdrive 2 pump, zoomed rotating powerhead small. Light not included.

So is this a good set up? The trade is valued at about $400. I read through the newbie advice section a little and it seems like there is so much to learn before adding fish and getting started. Is this feasible or am I over-reaching?

I apologize for my total ignorance, I'd do more independent research if the deal wasn't pressing.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome!

I think you can probably find better deals on craigslist. If lighting came with it I might feel differently.

Petco is currently having their 1 dollar per gallon sale. Go pick up a 40 gallon breeder.

4. mr11

mr11 Plankton

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm attaching a pic for further reference. photo-23.JPG

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks like a nice tank.

6. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

If its everything in the picture its a good deal. If it comes with the overflow, sump, return pump, heater, hob filters and all the equipment then its worth it. All that stuff can cost 3x the asking price when you buy new. It has well over the 400$ in livestock if that's included.

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

You could always make a deal that he sets it up and shows you how he sets it up and how to work everything. Then that can cut the learning curve a bit since you can feel comfortable with your hardware. I would shop around, there may be better deals in the area, you also can have something to reference to if you want to try and offer a lower price.

The other thing is give it some time and read around in the forums. If this is your first SW tank, I started reading in the newb forum or new to the hobby forum to see what other people were having troubles with. A lot of times, I found people having the same troubles and a lot of times it helped me out. It might not be exactly the same, but it could be that they do it a different way and possibly helps you out with your situation. It seems like there's always a good deal just around the corner, so don't feel bad if you miss this one.

Good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. Phil12

Phil12 Plankton

That looks like a nice tank – I like the previous suggestion as well where the previous owner can help you set it up and teach you a thing or two. That would certainly be worth the slightly elevated price, especially if it is the first time that you have ever gotten your own tank.