New, having brown algea +invert problem

Discussion in 'Algae' started by hahulahoop, Mar 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hahulahoop

hahulahoop Plankton

Hi everyone-
    I am new to this webpage, and to saltwater. I have a small (46 gallon) reef aquarium, and have 2 questions. 1st off, I cannot keep anenomies alive for the life of me. My water quality is very good, and I have the great lighting, however I have gone through 2 anenomies and both lived about 2 weeks. Anyone have tips on how to keep these or what to look for? Secondly, All of the sudden I have brown algea everywhere! The tank has been set up about 1 year, and all of the sudden, there has been an explosion of brown algea. It covers my live rock, and I think is killing off little inverts that came on the live rock because I can no longer see them under all the algea. Why would it explode all of the sudden? How do I get it undercontrol? Also, I do have some snails, but they cannot keep up with the growth.

Thanks,
    Heather

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Re: New, having brown algae +invert problem

Do you use tap water?
    When was the last water change and how much water did you change?
    Exactly what lights are being used?
    What are your test reading? Cal, Alk, pH, Phosphates, Nitrates.
    Sorry to hear about the lose of the anemones.

The death of the anemones may have released some toxins into the tank. Have you used anything to try and get rid of the algae?

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Brown Algae is a nature occurring phenomenon to new tanks. At a year I don't think this is the case.
    Have you change lights recently, New bulbs or different photo period?
    What are your feeding habits? could you be over feeding.
    Sorry for all the questions but the more we know the better.
    Could you list all the hardware you use and your feeding, and water change schedule?

Thanks
    J

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome Heather!

All the information requested above will help us diagnos your situation.

Please, in addition, list all tank inhabitants, type of sand/substrate, amount of live rock, and all filtration and other equipment.

The latest results of your water testing will help immensely.  You say your tank is a year old, can you describe how you set it up, when you added the live rock/sand, how long it cycled, when you added your livestock, etc.

Thanks Heather!

6. hahulahoop

hahulahoop Plankton

Hello again everyone-

Well, I'm at work, but am fairly familiar with my tank stuff...so here goes.

I have a eheim wet dry filtration, a sea clone protien skimmer, coral life HV lights with 2 white 96watt and 2 blue96 watt bulbs. This equipment has been on the tank for the whole time I have had it set up.

i have live sand and about 60lbs of live rock, I have a peculia clown, a 6 line wrass and a flame angle fish.

I feed them 1x a day or every other day and I feed them flakes and a variety of frozen food. I use to put romain lettuce in there, but they didn't eat it.

Also, from what I can remember, my ph is at 8.4, cal at 450, alk normal, nitrate around 0... according to what I am reading, my water is considered good quality.

Also, on setting up the tank...I put about 10 lbs of live rock in every month and let it cycle, and then added 10-15lbs more. I tested my water everyother day and waited until the water quality was good until I added more.

Oh yeah, I also have 2 turbo snails:)

Please let me know if I am forgetting anything, or leaving anything out, I really need help and am getting so frustrated!!

Thanks,
    Heather

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Those lights are a year old and overdue to be changed.
    That will help. Please give details on them, I am not familar with HV. The wattage sounds like PC. PCs should be changed every 6-8 months.

You didn't mention how often you are doing water changes. They would help.

Like Naut said, are you using R.O. water? Or tap?

Have you tested for silicates or phosphates?

Are you leaving left over food in there?

How deep is your sand?

Others have asked similar questions, answer these and we can recommend something to do.
    ;) :)

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm in the middle of tax season. As a result, I cannot be counted on to respond to a question so please don't take offense if one is asked of me and I don't see it.

All of the questions asked previously are important for different reasons. You sometimes have to become a detective.

The fact that you are losing inverts and the quickness of the spread leads me to at least throw out the possiblity of dinoflagellates. If the brown algae looks slimy or like snot and disappears at night, then you might have dino's.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

In your filter have you change anything recently? New charcoal perhaps?
    If so what brand of charcoal do you use?
    You you have a phosphate test?