New halide bulb - coral retraction?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

Very sorry for your troubles. Good to know that we for sure need UV filters on the metal halide.... the new reflectors im ordering come with glass UV shields thankfully.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah I thought of that too. Literally the day before I was noticing pods running around my sand and rocks and thinking that was a good sign. Hopefully bacteria and some of the pods some inside the rocks survived.. maybe in my fuge too.

They actually left a concerned message on my voicemail early this morning. I am curious if that was more about the UV that I had mentioned to them the other day than the fan I had been working with them on. I am confident that they will do their best to rectify this based on my experience with them so far but the damage is done. I will urge them to update the manuals if not the lamp itself.

Do you have a Coralife as well? I think this issue is particular to the lamp itself.. not something I've seen with others, although it has never been on the radar before as it is now.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Oh Man sorry to hear the UV Glass didn't work. That's such a cool looking fixture too bad it has such draw backs. Hope Coralife comes through

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks J. I hope so too. Like the site, if my experience helps others, then all is not lost.

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Hopefully the guys there realize who you are and that they are under some pretty good public scrutiny right now. You have more influence than most through this site, I would say. :lol:

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah time will tell. :) But really it is not about me... I started this site after working in a few fish stores and seeing the losses on a scale that most hobbyists do not. It motivated me to make this site and try to help mitigate those losses from shipping, poor acclimation, husbandry, filtration, etc. by sharing the knowledge of what worked for me and my co-workers.

I feel this issue plays into that. Some others have shared this UV/lamp issue as linked in this thread, but how many people out there did not know and have done the same as me and nuked their tank? As much as the setback in my own tank upsets me, it upsets me more to think that this may have happened to many, many others and contributed to the loss of more coral and fish that did not need to perish. And this is an ugly, probably very painful way to go too.

Off my soapbox now, this really threw me for a loop this week. Much different than accidentally dumping a bunch of kalk in your tank.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Jeezz matt, I'm so sorry to hear about this incident. I'd certainly go looney toons if that happened to me. I hope eveything works out well for you. I can't begin to imagine how upset you must be.
    I don't mean to hijack your thread but, I have a question. I have the odyssea 1072W MH fixture on my 125g. I made the change 2 weeks ago. All corals doing fine with the massive change. I am planning on changing out the odyssea bulbs to phoenix 14K bulbs sometime soon.
    So, does anyone know if the odyssea fixtures have the UV shield on their fixtures or will I be in serious trouble if I change these bulbs?
    Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

'Pods' live with high UV all the time. They get stuck in tidepools where temperature, salinity, and UV rises substantially until the tide comes back in. They even live through UV sterilizers unless you put an industrial UV on a hobbyist aquarium.

I've never really thought about UV and bacteria. In any case, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Their reproduction rate is nothing short of amazing.

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

yeah as i write this generation upon generation of bacterial colony is growing....

@inwall: good to know that pods live through UV. i was curious about that...

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid