New guy with first Reef Aquarium

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by lightningfront, Dec 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Or go T5/MH combo and have NO limitations! ;)

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

well, many "experts" i have talked too say T5's have not only increased PAR values but higher lumens per watt output... :p

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

welcome to 3reef first and for most

very nice looking setup so far, but where/what are you using for a return from the sump?

5. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

I don't know if the pump was in in those pics. It's a ViaAqua 4900 pump that I have a y fitting on and runs two 2 u-tube on the ends of the tank on either side.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

As long as you have about 4 Watts per gallon, you will be OK with softies and most LPS. You shouldn't keep an anemone under PCs. You will want to keep most of your corals in the top twelve inches of the tank. Make no mistake, you can operate with PCs. I have done just that with mine.

And with a tank like yours, you can do either MH/T5 combo or just T5s. Both will give you unlimited capabilities. You could easily do a 4x54W T5 array with UVL bulbs and it would rock (Tek and Nova Extreme Pro are my favorites). Jason (Packleader) runs a MH/T5 set up on a tank about your size and has done very, very well. Or you could invest a few thousand dollars on an LED set up (look up Solaris). Great set up you have there. Have fun!!!!!

7. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I have a buddy with the exact same tank and same light that has been running it for years. Tank looks great and he keeps many different corals (softies and LPS), a bubble tip, and a derasa clam. Everybody is correct about the technical information but I think you will be pleasantly surprised with what you will be able to keep with that light. I don't suggest an anemone or a clam in your case though, considering that you are new to the hobby.

8. Click Here!

9. lightningfront

lightningfront Spaghetti Worm

I'm not planning on trying to keep the hard stuff just yet as it's my first reef tank so softies and LPS are all I'm thinking about at the moment. After I become more aquainted with everything and have a nice established tank I might change out the lighting in this tank or leave it and convert my 125 cichlid tank into a reef ;D We'll see how it goes. If I convert the 125 into reef eventually I plan on making a custom canopy for it with 3 250W halides supplimented with T5 atinics.

Decided to re-arrange the rocks some and drained all the RO/DI water I had in it and started to re-fill again. It was forming some kind of foamy crap on the surface of the water (I think from the sand)

Can't be too cautious

[​IMG]

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

If you start your sump up and get that skimmer running, the foamy stuff will all get cleaned up...but a rinse of new sand is never a bad thing.

Welcome to reefing...

11. TORMENTOR

TORMENTOR Bristle Worm

Wow nice set up you have going there. I too am new to this and cant wait to get started. I have been reading these forums so much getting ideas that my eyes are starting to blur.
    I should get my stand for my system next week (I hope) then I can start posting my set up with pictures also.....I'm so excited, I almost feel like a kid in a Toy's R Us store when ever I go to the Local fish store.....drool

12. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

welcome to 3reef future coral addict. nice job on that tank. not quit understanding your plumbing from your pics.but, i guess i would have to be there. makes me want to do another tank. one thing to remember we all love pics. and your doing a great job so far.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008