new frags-help

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by chrisg, Dec 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

if you have .25ppm of ammonia, that could definitely be it. You should have 0ppm, this is not one of those parameters where a little is ok, it is very toxic to fish, corals and bacteria. It is strange for it to be at that if the tank is 2 years old. Besides the two frags have you added a lot of livestock, removed some lr, or have anything that could have died in your tank and be rotting right now?

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Ammonia. Something die? Have you done a head count? That ammonia will end up killing more stuff if you don't get that under control.

Your nitrates are a little high, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

Good luck.

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you might want to add some extra flow to your tank also...I noticed you only have a fluval and koralia 2....might try to add another koralia pump...add maybe a 3 or 4 to the otherside of the tank. Torchs in particular require a good flow...though I dont think that is what killed it this fast

Ammonia might be increased now because of the torch dying...however the fact that nitrates are up still makes me think there might have been something else in your tank dying or you overfeed.....just a thought. But I still think it might be bacterial infection.....

post a picture of the torch and the mushroom.....If I were you I think I would get rid of the torch even though it is still alive something is wrong with it and if only the mouth is left I think the chance of survival is nill and is only polluting your water....IMO

5. chrisg

chrisg Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm going to recheck the ammonia this afternoon in case I did something wrong. I haven't made any other changesto the tank.I did have (do have) the both of them in the flow, but additional flow is definately in the plan. I will also be sure to take a head count. I will try to get a picture to post tonight. Thanks, all!!!

6. chrisg

So I retested my ammonia and it is .25. I did the head count and all are accounted for. It is too late tonight but first thing tomorrow I can get something for the ammonia. What do you all suggest? Anything specific? I'm trying to get these photos up for you to see. The first one is how it looked after the first night. Sorry my pics aren't so good. The next one is how it looks now. But the mouth is still working. The other pic is the green hair mush that is looking pretty bad too. The water in the last two is not very clear because I just cleaned the sides.

Attached Files:

7. chrisg

Sorry. The last one is the wrong pic.

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

stray voltage? tds?

10. longballz84

longballz84 Spaghetti Worm

you have red bubble algae on the rocks in those pictures...so something in your water chem. is off..

im not sure about those fake plants...can they house nitrates also guys?

11. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Red bubble algae could just be a hitchiker that is just "reproducing" mainly because of nitrates, phosphates, and other excess nutrients along with light. I don't think it would have much to do with livestock suffering judging from his description. I don't think the fake plants can house nitrates.
    Have you tested for anything else? Alk, temperature, calcium, Mg, O2 How did you acclimate the livestock that you added? Is anything else in your tank stressed?

12. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

IMO think it might be something other then the parameters. The fact that it turn white and fuzzy is what worries me. I think (and it just that me thinking) that the corals may have had some bacteria or parasite, it could have even been something in the tank dormant or not affected the fish. Then when the corals went into your tank they got super stressed from the high levels of am and no3 it opened up the door to the infection