New frag tank..

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Don_v, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Oh, and in case your wondering, I put up a curved shower rod and white 84" long waterproof liner. Will eventually find a nice looking black cloth one to further cover that one and block the light, but for now this is what it looks like..

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

4. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Thanks. There will be alot more to see in the coming months. Once I get the lights, skimmer, and egg crate for the small frag tank, I will start collecting and quarantining. By the time the quarantine is over, (about a month, maybe longer) the 180 should be cycled and ready to transfer everything over. And at that time will probably get a fish or two for the 180. I'm thinking a six-line wrasse and a tang,a small naso maybe which will eventually transfer over to the 300 gallon when it's setup. I don't see any problem with it being in the frag tank for now, as it's 8 feet long.

5. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

no to the naso they will get over 1 1/2 feet! a blue , yellow , scopas , black , vampire , kole , etc so lots of choices! i'm not saying they can all go into the tank together lol!;)

6. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

I know, but if I get it as a juvenile say 2-3" and it will hang around in the 8 foot frag tank for probably less than a year , then be moved to a 300 gal that should be setup by then. At that point if it actually does get bigger than about 9-10" then I'll trade him in for another baby and start over.

That's my plan anyways... I have a long time to make a decision. I have always wanted a powder blue as well, I may do that instead, but for now I'm set on the naso.. Or if i dont feel like trading it in every few years ill just get a smaller type.. We'll see..

7. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

that's a nice set-up although such a waste of a washroom...bulok

8. Click Here!

9. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Not a waste if you didn't use it in the first place. We have another bathroom and full shower/bath.

I thought about moving it to the garage with the 180 gal tank, but it's barely in the 80's and that tank is already going over temp. I'm gonna have to run the chiller. And since the smaller tank in the bathroom is going to be a quarantine, I can't run the same chiller for both tanks without defeating the purpose of quarantine. I'm already looking into gable fans for the garage to keep it ventilated. It's gonna be one hot summer and even the chiller has an operating temp limit.

So, for now the small quarantine frag tank stays in the air conditioned house where it doesn't need a chiller.

10. dahenley

dahenley Plankton

must of been a sweet deal on the 180... i love that setup

11. Zoaholic

Zoaholic Plankton

Very nice setup!

12. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Thanks. Still a work in progress. Working on a bigger chiller for the 180. Tradewind chillers is going to custom build me one. Once I get that installed and am sure I can keep the temp stable, then I will start the cycle on the 180. The small frag tank is done cycling, just need lights, skinner, egg crate and coral.