New frag tank..

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Don_v, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

why not make the bathtub the frag tank! lol

2. Click Here!

3. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

sooooo where is the crapper in relation to the tank? I think that is the most important part. I was also wondering is the soap still behind the sump?

btw this part worries me...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  4. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I was thinkin that same thing...:eek::eek::eek:

5. hvfc6040

hvfc6040 Plankton

Thats what Im gonna do in my house. No sense in having 3 tubs for 1 single guy.

6. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Hahahhaahaa no, we don't use the "bath tub", or this particular one anyways. There is another one and two more showers which we DO use.. Hahaha so far it has worked out really well and I DID end up closing the open side by putting a pull up door on it so I can use it as shelf space temporarily or walk up there easier to get to the sump for maintenance. And I can pull it up to put a 5 gallon bucket in there still for fill up. While I was at it, I relocated the ro/di system underneath it all, yet still easily accessible.. Then, my wife requested that I remove the line running to the sink so she could still use it without interrupting my water flow. Unscrewed the tub spout, added an elbow and adapter and done. Also disabled the flow of hot water to the tub inside the handle so when I turn the water on, I don't accidentally turn it too far and have hot water flowing through the ro/di

And pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saltwater is in, water is heated, waiting for my order of base rock from reefcleaners.org to put in the sump which I will then seed with a piece of live rock from somewhere.. And begin the cycle..

Still need...

1. Reefkeeper lite
    2. 250 watt lumatek ballast
    3. 250 watt Hamilton cayman fixture
    4. 250 watt Phoenix 14k bulb
    5. Reef octopus 4 skimmer
    6. LOTS of $$$$$

Not necessarily in that order..

And a BUNCH of other stuff...

Oh, does anyone know where to get the ACRYLIC egg crate, and not in bulk? Been reading all kinds of stuff about the regular styrene stuff leaching phosphates and causing algae problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Hahah the toilet is about 12 feet away, behind a door. And no, I took the soap out the other day..dunno, it just bugged me that there was soap that close to the tank.. Haha.

And yes, I should have just made the tub into the tank. It is a jet tub after all, closed loop system built in for all the flow I would have needed.. Haha

8. Click Here!

9. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

I kind of remember hearing on another forum that those custom bathroom and kitchen stores have it, but I can't really back it up. You can give it a shot though I guess it's worth it.

I used the styrene for a frag rack and within a couple weeks had algae all over it and around. I took it out and put them all on the sandbed instead. Let me know if you find them :)

BTW: awesome build, can I "use" your bathroom sometime? hahaha

10. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Hahaha sure, just got my order of reefcleaners rock for the sump. It is now in..

[​IMG]

That tray above the rocks used to go all the way across and hold bio-balls In a previous life before I bought it used.. I cut it in half so my filter sock can go further down on the left side and my skimmer will sit atop that. Actually, might not even use a filter sock now..

Also, got my reefkeeper lite with sl1 and ph probe today with DA float switch kit and Tom aquatics aqualifter pump for auto top offs..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bucket for auto top off..

[​IMG]

Next will be skimmer and lights..

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

this is a cool thread i'll be watching along here.

12. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Hahaha thanks. It's pretty much all cycled now, just waiting for the lights and skimmer and still trying to find acrylic egg crate.

I came up on a sweet deal for a 180 gallon frag tank that I CAN put in the garage because it came with a chiller. The reason I couldn't put this one there. So I've been setting that one up lately. I have decided that this tank will be my coral quarantine tank for new corals and frags and they will then move to the 180 in the garage for storage / grow out / additional fragging / trading/ etc.. This way, when I get to getting my 300 gallon display tank, I will have tons of nice coral to stock it with already.

By the way, here is a pic of the new guy running..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still need to setup the reefkeeper, chiller and calcium reactor , but none of that's needed till after I've put some rock in the sump and the cycle is complete.