New frag tank..

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Don_v, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

And here's a mock up of what its gonna look like.. Of course, I will be putting a piece of plywood under the tank but this is just to give an idea..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Almost finished..

[​IMG]

Screwed 2x4's all along length of plywood to prevent bowing/ sagging over time..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Built a shelf on the back to hold the huge sump I picked up off craigslist..

As you can see in the background, all this construction going on and still managed to not drop the soap...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pic of the sump.. Was originally setup as a wet/dry, but I took the extra parts off and am just gonna use as a regular sump.

[​IMG]

5. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Will you be enclosing the bathtub to where its not really visible? or is it going to stay like that?

6. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

No, I pretty much did that just because it was wasted space that I could use...and kept the right side open so I can still fill my buckets in the tub and not have to worry about spills..heck, I filled the tank with ro/di today to test it out and forgot to turn it off.. It overflowed. Luckily its in the tub. It all went down the drain.. Hahah already saved me. I am going to put a curtain across the whole thing, kinda like the ones they pull to divide the room in the hospitals, but not so cheesy looking. Heck, I could put a rod and shower curtain across also and you would never even know it's there..now, to research lighting. I'm looking at the cayman 250 watt metal halide fixture from Hamilton with a 250 watt lumatek ballast.

And here's the finished project ( minus the plumbing and skimmer an lights, all that good stuff..)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And with sump in place.. I know, kinda big, but got it for practically free.. Minus 50 bucks..

[​IMG]

I won't be using those bulkheads in the back, they will be plugged..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Long term, I think the tub will crack and/or break. I would put it somewhere else just in case.

8. Click Here!

9. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

I thought about that but I see no sign of bowing or stress anywhere, I stood and jumped in all 4 corners before I even began, as well as along the way. There are no signs of flexing. Underneath the fiberglass is a wooden frame which I believe to be strong enough. Plus the thing was designed to hold alot of water plus the weight of a person (or two). Would I put a full size tank up there? No, But a few hundred pound frame, few hundred pound frag tank and few hundred pound sump all spread to four corners seems to be ok. And trust me, this was a last resort. There really is nowhere else to put it. I was willing to move one of the couches out to place it there, but wife wasn't as willing.

10. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Update.. Got the plumbing in..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to add the extension to the return line as the bulkhead was sitting too low and too much water drained out when the pump shut off than I would have liked..

[​IMG]

11. montalvos6

montalvos6 Astrea Snail

Very cool idea, your wife must really love you...lol. You shouldnt have a problem with the frame, that bathtub is set in a 2x4 frame that wraps around the tub so it can take the weight of all the water plus 2 people. Please post pics when its up and running.

12. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Thats awsome!

I mite do a small nano in my bathroom and watch the tank while i shower! hahaha...Nah, jk..My mom would kill me.