New frag tank..

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Don_v, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Made a drive to L.A. Yesterday to pickup a frag tank from a guy off craigslist. Says he used it once for a frag swap an that was it.. I believe I got it for a steal at only $110.00... It is 30x18" ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be posting my build pics shortly as I progress in this thread. You guys may find it interesting as I am not sure if anyone has done what I'm about to do... Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Very cool. I will be watching this along.

4. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Ok, since the house is so crowded an I have nowhere to setup another tank (or frag tank for that matter) and since we don't use out bath tub, this is what I was thinking...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have tried my best to push and pull on the tub and it seems that it will support the weight of a few hundred pound frag tank no problem. I do believe the way these tubs are installed is that 2x4's are anchored into the wall all round the tub for the lip of the tub to rest on. So, if my thinking is correct the 4x4's are actually sitting on 1/4" fiberglass and immediately under that is a 2x4 anchored into the wall taking the actual load.

I plan on going out 30" from the left side and building legs upward to elevate the tank higher and the right side will remain open so I can still fill my 5 gallon buckets with ro/di and I'm planning on sitting the sump in the tub ( will need to sit on some shimmed plywood as it is sloped for Water drainage.) then will hang metal halide fixture from the ceiling.

Comments?!? Suggestions?!?

5. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I have yet to see a tank in a bathtub or a bathroom. Lol I can't comment on if it will hold it or not but I'm staying tuned to see what happens.

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I had a rock station setup in a rubbermaid container in my tub. But using the tub as the area around a sump would be a great idea...no worries of spilling/leaking.

7. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

This is a mockup here...

[​IMG]

This way the tank will be about chest level so I'm not bending over to move frags and I only have to duck a little to look in from the front..

And this side will stay open so I can fill my buckets still..

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

And yes, that was my thinking also, that if anything should ever leak, it's in the tub..

10. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

And if we ever move, just gotta unscrew a couple boards and it slides right out.. Then, I could even cut the right side off and use it as a Stand on the ground.

11. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

Just fastened the middle piece down.. Climbed on top and jumped and rocked slightly..Didn't budge at all... I weigh about 190 so if just the middle piece can take that much weight it may just hold. I'm thinking about making another 10 gallon sump and just build a shelf on the lower level so I don't have to put it directly in the tub and worry about leveling it.

12. Don_v

Don_v Fire Worm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]