New Frag of pulsing Xenia Dead??

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by oBEA5To, Aug 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Haha yeah I still think I want some. They look interesting and I find it kind of cool when a whole group is pulsing. Here is the frag as of right now i just took these pictures. I took it off that ugly frag plug and put it on a rock. Does it look like it will grow or look like its reviving?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. solar0987

solar0987 Astrea Snail

It looks like hair algae lol

I don't see it,<-- the xenia i also bought a plug of pulsing xenia its 2 different kinds one is blue and one is pink they always pulse they haven't stopped in a week so far!
    Last tank i had was a 50 breeder with pc's and it did grow like weeds!

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Nobody can tell you if it's gonna come back or not,it's a simple celled animal and if only one or more cells are alive,it can be weeks to months until it decides if it even likes your tank conditions and make a comeback or not.

Some people cannot get xenia to grow at all in thier tanks no matter how "prestine" or "dirty" the tank is,others have to fight them off with a weed whacker just to keep in check.

If you're that determined to have pulsing xenia,I would find another frag.Try posting a "wanted" ad on craigs,i'm sure there will be a reefer within reasonable driving distance that will probably give you some or sell for real cheap.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I will say when I ran a protein skimmer on my tank the xenia was not real happy, after taking it off it grew like a weed.

Seems to me that if you want to do SPS or difficult lps than a skimmer is no question an amazing piece of equipment, but with most softies, mushrooms, and even corals like Goniopora which I believe is an LPS, than a skimmer is not really needed and if run 24/7 can sometimes even be detrimental to the corals that like the water with a little bit of nutrients in them.

6. grinder37

I have even heard of folks growing it in thier sumps instead of macros for same said nutrient consumption.

7. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well i bought another one i couldnt resist but this time form my LFS. My question now is the xenia wasnt attached to nothing so i got a small rock and glued the tip of the base onto the rock (used super glue gel) is this ok? will this affect it spreading or anything?

8. Click Here!

9. grinder37

Yep,nope and congrats :cheesy: